Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Extending a Christmas LED lighting cable.

Merton69

Aug 6, 2021
Hello All.

I have just bought a typical two core 50 led Christmas string fairy lights. But unfortunately the cable from the plug to the first led isn't long enough.

Please can somebody tell me (I know nothing about cabling etc) what is the best 2 core cable to buy to extend the plug away from the first LED?

I already have the outside waterproof connector ready to fit.

Kind regards,

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Show photos.
Some are mains supply and should not be modified.

Merton69

Aug 6, 2021
Many thanks for your swift reply Bluejets!

As requested I have added two images of the lights that need extending.

Just need the correct type of cable to extend it.

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_1830.JPG
    IMG_1830.JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1831.jpg
    IMG_1831.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 6

Merton69

Aug 6, 2021
Thank you Bertus.

But I am after just the simple cable and not an extension lead as I will be cutting off the 2 pin plug and wiring a UK three pin plug.

Many thanks though.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
As pointed out earlier, this cabling is main level (rather dangerous LED string actually and banned in Australia) and cannot be cut and joined.
Only way to extend is through an extension as already shown by Bertus.
Although, even then, if the extension is used outside , it is not waterproof .
A much better system is the low voltage LED strings with an approved power supply unit which cuts down the mains level to some 30v through an isolating supply transformer.

Trans.jpg

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Those LED strings are cheap Chinese triac controlled and dangerous.
Despite the sales description, are 100% NOT waterproof, showerproof or weatherproof.
Check for yourself. Go along the string and check the heat shrink. You can insert a jumbo jet (747) between the LED and heat shrink.
Each 1/8th watt resistor will get extremely hot and discolour the heat shrink in no time, possibly burning through.
You can lengthen the wire by cutting the two pin plug off and using a similar gauge wire (18 gauge) is probably what’s used by the factory.
Placing your cable joint in a UK spec waterproof box is undoubtedly the safest part of the whole LED string.
Do yourself a favour and buy low voltage strings from B&Q after Xmas.
The £20 sets will be £5 and very safe. Just think how nice the house and garden will look next Christmas.

Martin

Merton69

Aug 6, 2021
Hello All.

Wow! Thank you so much for all your insights.

I will be looking into all your points and experience before making a much better decision.

Kind regards to you all.