Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Extending a hdmi switch button (Knucklehead with a soldering iron)

GuyManDude

Dec 7, 2022
I have an HDMI switching unit that has a momentary push button to switch between 2 inputs and an output. I want to use it inside an arcade cabinet but I want to extend the button to the cabinet exterior so it can easily be switched. I have attached some pictures of the unit. If you would be kind enough to offer some guidance I would appreciate help figuring out how to go about it please.

Could I solder 4 long wires to the 4 connection points on the bottom of the circuit board under the switch? Most momentary buttons only have 2 conductors though so I'm confused as to what button I could use.

Thanks for your time and suggestions.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0093.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0093.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 3
  • thumbnail_IMG_0094.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0094.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 3
  • thumbnail_IMG_0095.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0095.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
This type of pushbutton has 4 pins for mechanical reasons only - to mount it securely on a pcb. Actually only 2 pins are used, possibly these 2:
1670475869592.png
but your photo is not crisp enough to make out details. Try to provide a better image, see here how to.

Another option is to extend the pushbutton mechanically by glueing on a stick.

GuyManDude

Dec 7, 2022
This type of pushbutton has 4 pins for mechanical reasons only - to mount it securely on a pcb. Actually only 2 pins are used, possibly these 2:
View attachment 57288
but your photo is not crisp enough to make out details. Try to provide a better image, see here how to.

Another option is to extend the pushbutton mechanically by glueing on a stick.
Thanks for your thoughts Harald. Here are some better pics although the back side doesn't have a whole lot of markings. I think you are right about 2 of the pins just being for mount stability, two of them don't appear to be connected to any of the pcb circuitry.

Attachments

• large1.png
    large1.png
    333.6 KB · Views: 3
  • large2.png
    large2.png
    562.9 KB · Views: 3

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
The new images aren't that much crisper :( But I think my markings are right. You can give it a try by simply connecting another pushbutton across these two pins and test the function of the switch module with this new pushbutton.

This is an example of a typical such pushbutton (datasheet):
1670482249900.png
As you can see, even if you use the wrong two pins, no harm can be done:
  • using any combination of 1-3 , 1-4, 2-3 or 2-4 will result in the expected function.
  • using any combination of 1-2 or 3-4 will not result in the expected function, but will also do no harm as these pins are connected internally anyway.
Note that this is a typical configuration for this type of pushbutton. The one on your switch module might be wired differently, but the chances are very, very, very small.

GuyManDude

Dec 7, 2022
Tested successfully. I touched a jumper wire between the pins. Each touch switched the input port as expected. Thank you again.