Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Failed diodes

Desbo

Mar 6, 2022
Can failed diodes cause widespread shorting across the board?

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Welcome to EP!
If the diodes are part of a mains power supply then yes, they can; because AC can then reach polarity-sensitive components (e.g. ICs, transistors, electrolytic capacitors) and damage them.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I would add that fuses would blow .
What’s your definition of widespread?
Does some parts of the circuit still work without the fuse blowing?

Martin

Desbo

Mar 6, 2022
Welcome to EP!
If the diodes are part of a mains power supply then yes, they can; because AC can then reach polarity-sensitive components (e.g. ICs, transistors, electrolytic capacitors) and damage them.

Thank you. That’s helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Desbo

Mar 6, 2022
What’s your definition of widespread?
Does some parts of the circuit still work without the fuse blowing?

Martin
Hi Martin. It’s a PCB for a sub woofer. The fuse keeps blowing. I could that a mosfet was shot. Took it out of circuit and then i went testing for continuity generally and found that there were points in numerous places close to each other that were showing continuity. So i guess something else has blown and is now connecting all these points together. I thought diodes would be a candidate for doing this. But I’m a noob so hence the question. The board is 2 sided so removing components to test is really difficult and is doing damage to the traces so trying to minimise this.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Potentially - and quite likely - but components fail far, far, faster than fuses do so the damage is done well after the fuse considered blowing itself up!

For many circuits a diode failure in the power supply might be catastrophic but there are other types of power supply that have regulators between the fuses and the main circuitry and the regulators might 'save' the circuit.

Too many variables to be specific and it's usually a case of working your way through the circuitry to discover what did what to what (if you get my drift?)

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Generally speaking, a fuse would blow with a short across the mains, be it a X2 cap , bridge diode or any combination of both.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
If you guys have a better or definite repair idea, speak up. I see nothing but question mine.

Desbo

Mar 6, 2022
Potentially - and quite likely - but components fail far, far, faster than fuses do so the damage is done well after the fuse considered blowing itself up!

For many circuits a diode failure in the power supply might be catastrophic but there are other types of power supply that have regulators between the fuses and the main circuitry and the regulators might 'save' the circuit.

Too many variables to be specific and it's usually a case of working your way through the circuitry to discover what did what to what (if you get my drift?)
Isn't the whole idea of a fuse being the "weak link" that fails first to protect the rest of the components?

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
sn't the whole idea of a fuse being the "weak link" that fails first to protect the rest of the components?
Most fuses (at least in domestic appliances) are there to prevent over-heating of the power supply cable.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Isn't the whole idea of a fuse being the "weak link" that fails first to protect the rest of the components?
Not at all.

In most cases the fuse is there to protect the CABLE supplying the voltage to the equipment. There is no mechanical fuse in existence that can operate quickly enough to prevent electronics blowing up.

If the fuse is internal t the equipment then it protects from fire by overheating.

Desbo

Mar 6, 2022
Not at all.

In most cases the fuse is there to protect the CABLE supplying the voltage to the equipment. There is no mechanical fuse in existence that can operate quickly enough to prevent electronics blowing up.

If the fuse is internal t the equipment then it protects from fire by overheating.
Really? So the fuse is just there to prevent fires and injury outside the box. They don't give a toss about the appiance itself? I feel like I'm being told there is no Santa Claus. What other home truths do I need to learn about the grown up electronics world??

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
You could read up about Transient Voltage Suppressors (TVS) and surge suppressors.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Really? So the fuse is just there to prevent fires and injury outside the box. They don't give a toss about the appiance itself

Your right to an extent.
Preventing fires isn't alwsys a fuses sole purpose.
It depends on the application but It can mitigate damage to circuit board traces and more robust components such as transformers, rectifiers etc.

OTOH,
By the time It takes to blow even a fast acting fuse a sensitive electronic component will usually see too much current to survive.

PS; Santa lives on in out hearts.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
What other home truths do I need to learn about the grown up electronics world??

TINSTAAFL - (there is no such thing as a free lunch)
Buy cheap, buy twice
there's loads! Google Murphy's Law!

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

@kellys_eye , Here is the complete murphy collection.

Bertus

Attachments

• The Complete Edition of Murphy.pdf
    267.4 KB · Views: 5

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
i went testing for continuity generally and found that there were points in numerous places close to each other that were showing continuity.
There SHOULD be continuity from various points on the PCB. You just need to know where.
Is the mosfet bad? You only said you took it out of circuit.

Martin