Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Fault finding electronic ear muffs, no sound from one speaker.

apples

Jul 1, 2012
My electronic ear muffs have stopped working on one side. I am hoping to fix it up and need some advice.

1. Have disconnected the speaker that no sound comes out of. Now what, how do you test speakers? When I connect an AA battery it does the crackle noise thing.

I guess I could swap this speaker over to the wiring on the other side as it is a known working circuit.

2. If it is the mic that is not sending signal to the circuit board, how do I test a mic?

3. If it is not either the mic or speaker, I might just connect the speakers from the broken side into the good side. What are the risks here? Will adding another speaker increase current draw and have the potential to fry the circuit?
Also, if I do this it really does not fix the problem. I will have sound into both speakers, but only pickup from the one mic. So the bi-directional sound will not be true.

apples

Jul 1, 2012
Hey, I found out that it is the speaker that is cactus. As I was able to get some earbud speakers working off the faulty speaker circuit.

apples

Jul 1, 2012
image.jpg image.jpg I have here a speaker out of a set of electronic ear muffs. It is a slim profile speaker, so that it fits inside the earmuffs.

It does not make any sound through it. But when it put an AA battery on the wire it did the crackle noise thing.

How is this speaker constructed? Is it simply two wires? There is no component under the black blob between the + and - terminals? Maybe that is just glue to hold the vey thin wires down?

Anyway is this fixable?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
How is this speaker constructed? Is it simply two wires? There is no component under the black blob between the + and - terminals? Maybe that is just glue to hold the vey thin wires down?

the terminals connect to that coil of wire you can see in the middle of the second pic

fixable ... probably not ...

Dave

apples

Jul 1, 2012
Hey, I think I fixed it. Saw a video on YouTube where a guy re glued the diaphragm down and coil etc.

With this one I noticed that if I pushed on the clear plastic then it would work. So I used hot glue and put a smear of it around the edge. The glue has held the plastic cone taught. Before, the plastic was loose and had wrinkles.

Will see how well it lasts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 141