Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Feeding load with two 220V AC power supplies to reach uninterrupted power supply.

EEngineer93

Feb 28, 2021
ee switch.jpg

As shown in the diagram, I am trying to connect two power sources to load. The battery source is for emergency in the case of power outage of the wall source. I want the switching to be instantaneous with no interruption of power.

What is the best solution to this problem? Is there a board out there that I could use? There must be no interruption of power.

Thank you!

Moderators note : uploaded picture and inserted into post

Last edited by a moderator:

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Firstly . . . . . .EEngineer93 . . . . . .now REALLY ? and with its adjunct " 93 " ? that's indicative of a birth date of 1993 or actively "acting" as such since 1993 ?

With a DUAL mandate of:
I want the switching to be instantaneous with no interruption of power.
There must be no interruption of power.

You forgot the loads wattage and the . . . . .worst case . . . longest expected / experienced past power outage period

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

What you are describing IS an uninterruptible power supply.
There are many commercial versions available:
uninterruptible power supply
Depending on the load and running time, they can be vary in price.

Bertus

EEngineer93

Feb 28, 2021
Firstly . . . . . .EEngineer93 . . . . . .now REALLY ? and with its adjunct " 93 " ? that's indicative of a birth date of 1993 or actively "acting" as such since 1993 ?

With a DUAL mandate of:
I want the switching to be instantaneous with no interruption of power.
There must be no interruption of power.

You forgot the loads wattage and the . . . . .worst case . . . longest expected / experienced past power outage period

I don't know how that's relevant to my question but to satisfy your curiosity its the birth year of 1993.

Load wattage = 300W
longest expected outage = 2 hours

Thank you.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
In that case, you need a 24V battery bank capable of 4 hours supply and a AC line powered charger, feeding into it to maintain a full / trickled state of charge .
Then a 500 watt continuous duty rated inverter and your load kept plugged into the inverter . . . . .unless there is a time when the load will actually need to be turned off.
Same condition as . . . . . . uninterruptible power supply

EEngineer93

Feb 28, 2021
In that case, you need a 24V battery bank capable of 4 hours supply and a AC line powered charger, feeding into it to maintain a full / trickled state of charge .
Then a 500 watt continuous duty rated inverter and your load kept plugged into the inverter . . . . .unless there is a time when the load will actually need to be turned off.
Same condition as . . . . . . uninterruptible power supply
Thank you so much for your help!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I don't know how that's relevant to my question but to satisfy your curiosity its the birth year of 1993.

Jealousy. Some of us are so old that 1993 seems like last week.