Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Fender 3 spring reverb tank

kidthorazine

Jan 20, 2013
I have a Fender 3 spring reverb tank that I would like to set up so it can be used. It has an rc in and rc out and that's it. what do I need and how do I set it up to make the reverb useable?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
maybe some photos and an actual model number of your unit would help us to help you

cheers
Dave

kidthorazine

Jan 20, 2013
Heres a pic of the exact fender reverb tank I have and a schematic of a similar fender reverb unit. Sadly I can't read schematics The maker of the reverb tank is Accutronics Theres no model number

Attachments

• 3382025857_05d882d56f_o.jpg
    3382025857_05d882d56f_o.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 1,253
  • hotspsch.jpg
    hotspsch.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,704
Last edited:

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Is that circuitry built into it? If so, it's very easy to use. Just feed an audio signal in the input and connect an amplifier to the output. The "clipping" LED will light if the signal amplitude is too high.

It also requires a DC power source. The voltage range is not shown on the schematic but I would suggest 9~24V DC would be suitable.

If your unit doesn't have a DC power connection, it may not have the active circuitry. In that case you can drive the input from one channel of a headphone amp.

Edit:

In practice, some sort of variable mixing arrangement, such as a linear potentiometer, is used to adjust the proportions of direct signal (at the input) and reverbed signal (from the output) that is fed to the final output of the reverb circuitry block; the signal at the output of the spring line has a huge amount of reverb and you need to mix some of the original signal with it, otherwise you'll just hear a jumble of noise.

Last edited:

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
I suggest you try Googling driver amplifier for spring line reverb. I did, and one of the results is http://sound.westhost.com/articles/reverb.htm which has some useful information and a link to another site, http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/, which you should look at. Also check out other Google results.

The preamp you linked to uses an IC that appears to be obsolete, and is probably suitable for driving a spring line unit directly. The characteristics of a spring line driver transducer seem to be a bit variable, but generally similar to headphones, which is why I suggested a headphone amplifier. There are many headphone amplifier circuits around; just use Google to find them. Go for one that's either all-discrete (i.e. no op-amp), or uses one or more op-amps but includes a discrete output stage, for higher current.

It would also be useful to know the characteristics of your spring line unit; read the Elliott Sound Products page (first link) for details.

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
I suggest you try Googling driver amplifier for spring line reverb. I did, and one of the results is http://sound.westhost.com/articles/reverb.htm which has some useful information and a link to another site, http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/, which you should look at. Also check out other Google results.

The preamp you linked to uses an IC that appears to be obsolete, and is probably NOT suitable for driving a spring line unit directly. The characteristics of a spring line driver transducer seem to be a bit variable, but generally similar to headphones, which is why I suggested a headphone amplifier. There are many headphone amplifier circuits around; just use Google to find them. Go for one that's either all-discrete (i.e. no op-amp), or uses one or more op-amps but includes a discrete output stage, for higher current.

It would also be useful to know the characteristics of your spring line unit; read the Elliott Sound Products page (first link) for details.

Edit: Added NOT in the second paragraph (d'oh!)