Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Field Charging Box - voltage/component question

T Green

Sep 2, 2015
I'm building a field charging box to charge LiPo batteries for remote control helicopters. I've learned that the battery chargers that I'm using will charge faster when powered with 24 volt. So I've purchased and wired two small 12V 30A power supplies in series to achieve the 24V that the chargers will handle. I want to place a rocker switch beside each charger so that I can use them individually. I would assume that means that I need a rocker switch that would handle 24v 30A. Is this correct? ...cause I'm having a difficult time finding a switch that meets those specs. Thanks for the help. Tim

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
IF the switches are on the power supply outputs, they need to handle only the current drawn by the loads, not the entire capacity of the supply. Still, medium current switches with true DC ratings are surprisingly rare. But if these are AC powered supplies, put normal AC power switches on the inputs.

ak

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
You may find it cheaper to use a relay and a much smaller switch for switching the coil. Automotive relay for 40 Amps will cost 80 pence ($1.22).
Adam