Maker Pro
Maker Pro

File indexing on a web server

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
So, I have a web server that has many files that I want index on a web page. This web page is only going to be available to me and this is in no way an effort to share files with the world. I want to be able to easily access the files I have uploaded to my web server in a specific directory. I am looking for something open source preferably.

Example:
I access my url to see the main page. The main page could have a list from A to Z. I click on a letter and all folders listed with that letter are displayed.

I know I can do .htaccess but I was hoping for something more robust.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Is your server running on a Linux server? Is it your server?

If so, I would write a script which hard links the files into one of 27 directories (a to z and other). Then you can simply point your server at the top level directory and let it handle it. If you put a file index. HTML in the "I" directory you could have a problem, but you can tell your server (Apache?) To ignore it.

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
The server is Linux. I'm no script writer by any means. I was really hoping someone knew of a free server software (preferably open source) that I could point a directory to it and it would index the names of them for me. Then create a simple menu that would show on the page which would be accessed by web browser. I may have to stick with .htaccess and try to protect the directory at the same time. I think that should work.

safetywatto

Jun 24, 2017
Can't you create the index locally and then transfer it to the server. In DOS you can use the command - dir /s > all.csv - and then edit the csv file in Excel to create the approriate hyperlinks

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The free software is "Apache". If you point it to a directory that doesn't have an index.html (or variants thereof) it will just show a list of the files for you. You can force this if there might be an index.html in there.