Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Finding powe supply polarity from the circuit board?

drbob

Jan 25, 2013
Hello,

I've been asked to order a new power supply for a device that unfortunately does not indicate the polarity of its 12V DC barrel jack. I would greatly appreciate it if someone here could help me work out the correct polarity (centre pin +ve or -ve)

I've attached a photo of the circuit board. It looks like a trace runs from the centre pin through a fuse and up to a choke coil, my very limited knowledge of electronics suggests to me that this means positive charge probably flows from the centre pin, is this correct?

kind regards,

drbob

Attachments

• kup-200 label.jpg
    kup-200 label.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 204
  • kup-200 circuit board.jpg
    kup-200 circuit board.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
that looks like it would be center positive, if you notice the ground plane at the top of the picture runs to the side of the plug housing.

I can't say with 100% certainty, but the fact that there is a fuse right out of the center pin and what looks like a ground plane is attached to the side connection of the DC input pin is a pretty good indicator.

Do you now have the original plug for this device?

drbob

Jan 25, 2013
Unfortunately the original power adapter has been lost. I tried sending an e-mail to the manufacturer but they didn't get back to me.

Thanks for your input, I think I'll try with a centre positive power adapter.

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
I agree with GreenGiant. Its centre +VE. Negative side of Capacitor was soldered on etch of PCB. Follow the trace and this lead you to negative of Plug. See photo.

REMOTE.jpg

Last edited: