Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Finding the right wires in a pot of potting

ldcarter

Nov 20, 2016
Need some advice on a proposed test using the attached image. I have no values for any of the components on this circuit. The attached wiring is for a generic Automatic Voltage Regulator for a genset. It has 6 wires coming out of it, 2 are for the field and are separate, 4 are in a plug (2 yellows, 1 Blue, and 1 Brown) for the exciter and power, those 4 wires are the only ones I am concerned with. I believe that the 2 yellows are for the exciter, and Blue/Brown for power. Should add that vender's website shows the 2 like colored wires are the exciter wiring and the 2 others (in the 4 pin plug) are for power. The picture and description however as concerns wire color do not match up, sent email, no help. 2 other venders didn't know about their product either.

Using a small 120v AC plug-in wall transformer that was used for charging who knows what, I took it apart and plugged it into the wall. Read 12.5v AC out of the transformer.

My thinking is if I jumper the 12.5v AC to the yellow wires and measure the voltage on the field plug, I should read (with a 0.7v drop across the diodes) about 11v DC. This is if those wires are for the exciter and not power. The only access to this component (because of the potting) is the 6 wires.

Questions are will this work, are the results reliable?

Looking at the circuit wondered if an ohmmeter might work? With all the resistances on the "power" to "field" circuit seems to me that I would only get low readings through "exciter" to "field" circuit.

Not supposed to get the AVR until 12/16 but don't think I will know more by having it in hand.

Attachments

• DSC02585.JPG
    DSC02585.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 94

ldcarter

Nov 20, 2016
I may have failed to include some vital information on the above named circuit. The exciter circuit is used to convert AC to DC to excite the field (rotor) winding and build up to 110/220v AC from the stator. The power circuit is used as a feedback to help maintain the field strength as a load is applied and thus hold the voltage at 110/220 AC out the power windings (stator) to the receptacles.