Maker Pro
Maker Pro

First alert security camera power source

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
I bought a set of 2.4g security cameras for my shop, and they advertised "wireless". They have to be plugged into 100v us for them to work and the wire from the wall wart is a bit shor....t not wireless at all.
So I spliced in the amount of wire I needed to reach the plug and the cameras seem to work fine.

Anyway, it came time for the yearly cleaning last year and spring time dusting. I pulled the cameras down to remove some rust that had formed on the mounts.

I had all of my old burned out wall warts in a box on the bench when I did the work on the cameras...and I think I put one of the camera warts in the dump box which went out with the garbage..

These cameras are obsolete, I can't find them anywhere for sale, and so I wondered what the chances are that I could build one for it from scratch? how expensive of a job is it? How lucrative is trying to match a wall wart that might variate as much as an elephants P****?

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
Take a close look at one of your other wall warts--I assume if you bought them as a set, that all the wall warts are the same. They should have specs printed on them, something like "24 VAC" and "40VA" or whatever the specs are. Chances are good that they're simple Class II transformers between 12 and 24VAC, with power rating between 20 and 50VA (Watts). It's usually in raised print on the plastic casing, but may be on a sticker.
If you can't find the specs on the wall wart (which would be unusual), then the power input specs should be on the camera itself.

Whatever it is, search on ebay for "Transformer 12V 40VA" (or whatever your specs are) and you'll probably find plenty of matches at reasonable prices. As long as the wall wart meets the specs, it will work.

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
yep. too vaige again.... See I have been testing these wall warts, and most of them are so far off their mark (or at least the marks on them) that I am seriously wondering if the old saying "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink...." isn't getting some new use.

When I test the wart with a VOM, it is reading about 12v, but the notation on the case says 9v.
better too much than not enough....

and the 300ma or what ever.. well I'm afraid to check it with my little 10a meter.

Yep. get one just like it and it will work! even if you got it off ebay !!!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
When I test the wart with a VOM, it is reading about 12v, but the notation on the case says 9v.

That's pretty normal for an unregulated wall wart.

and the 300ma or what ever.. well I'm afraid to check it with my little 10a meter.

And surely you know not to.