Maker Pro
Maker Pro

fixing a broken projector, need help identifying a part

genobean

Aug 1, 2012
Hey guys,

I'm fixing a projector, the bulb seems to be working brightly. The only thing is, when I turn it on I get discolorations, no clear image, just lines of colors and shapes. I know it's not just the VGA connection because the menu doesn't come up at all either. Sometimes it doesn't turn on, instead the circuit part I attached shines brightly around the middle plastic ring and I hear a slight screeching sound (I assume it's coming from this thing). Now, does this mean that this circuit part has defected? Anyone know what this part is and how I would go about replacing it?

Gene

Attachments

• electronic part.jpg
    electronic part.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 213

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
This part looks like a gas discharge tube.
It is unlikely that this part is defect, they are rather sturdy.
On the contrary, this part may be working perfectly which can be the source of the light and sound: Gas discharge tubes are used for overvoltage protection. If an overvoltage occurs, the gas within the tube becomes conductive and an elecrical arc is created (light). It seems that some other circuit generates an overvoltage, possibly a transformer which would explain the screeching sound.

Harald

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It could be that the lamp is not triggering and thus an overvoltage event occurs.

Some discharge lamps have to be allowed to cool before they can be triggered again.

Check the instructions with the projector and see if it recommends some time delay between turning it of and back on again.

Obviously id the light fails after it has been turned off for a long period of time, this is unlikely to be the cause,