Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Flashing joule thief - beginner

cjhmason

Jul 16, 2018
Hi all,

I am new to this forum, and relatively new to electronics. I have dabbled but really looking to learn more. I figure one of the best way to learn is by doing. A simple project has presented its self in the form of a battery (AA or AAA) flashing red LED for a non functioning CCTV camera, for the block of flats I live in.

I have done a bit of initial research and come across joule thief’s. They sound good because the battery life will be long.

So my question is; I found two different circuit designs. But not sure which one would be best to try and build. If anyone has any ideas that would be great!

This first one seems nice and simple, however the circuit diagram is a little blurry and being new to this I am not 100% what it actually says:

The second seems a bit more complexe, but the information is much clearer. (I would be building this without the PCB FYI, Just wiring it up with wire and solder):
http://www.instructables.com/id/10-Year-LED-Flasher-PC-board/

I will have to buy all the components as I don’t have any old computers laying around. Was thinking I’d buy the bits from ( I live in the UK): https://www.mouser.co.uk/m_Home.aspx

If anyone has any insight into which is a better design.

Or if you have a completely new design that would be better that would be great.

Really just looking to get a parts list together, and start soldering, but thought it’s always best to see if anyone has any advice before I dive in!

Thanks in advance, I look forward to learning more about electronics.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I agree, is hard to read the circuit for the first one.

But building the second one without a PCB is likely to be more difficult.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
I did not see any details about how to make the transformers.
Many Instructables are designed by kids who are only 10 years old and who know nothing about electronics. The blinking LED might be part of another circuit that was purchased, not made.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I did not see any details about how to make the transformers.

Have you heard of scrolling?

Granted, the instructions are poor (as is typical of Instructables), but I'd be surprised if the inductor is critical.

cjhmason

Jul 16, 2018
Hi guys,

Thanks very much for your replies.

I agree the second one does lol ok pretty difficult to do without a PCB.

I think I’ll give the first one a go.

Regarding the transformer, I was just going to get a ferrite toroid (black one, because I hear it’s better to have a low frequency one, and then wrap it with something like 18:18 turns and then just see what happens.

The reason I wanted to make this circuit is partly to learn more and do more electronics so I figure even if it doesn’t work straight away, I can learn by doing.

I’ll re-draw the circuit from the first on from what I can make out and post it here. Then start buy components.

Thanks again!