Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Flat Panel TV

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
So I acquired a Samsung LN46A650A1F TV for free, it was sitting at a local dump with some minor cosmetic damage on the back side of it (who cares about the back right?)
Bring it back to my friends house and fire it up, works great, picture is amazing sound is great, we let it run a few blurays for about 8 hours straight, no overheating no nothing.

Bring it back to my place, hook it up and I get noise (mostly green) large blotches of color wiggling a little bit, pressing the buttons on a Samsung remote I have from another set makes them move and I got spotty sound from the speakers.

Im thinking video controller or something, so I take it down, open it up and take a look, theres a ribbon cable thats slightly loose, I reseat it and turn on the set and I get the "no signal" displaying properly.

Set it back up hook up my Xbox to one of the Component input (there are 2) and start playing some halo 4, after a few minutes the screen starts blinking, saying no signal, then its fine, I swap to HDMI and everything works fine, I played for 3-4 hours without issue.

I have had it for a week and its still going strong, but occasionally instead of the typical turn off chime I get a pop and the red remote light flashes 2 times but then its off, not a huge deal just a little worrying.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where to look for issues, there were no obvious marks or blown parts on the video input or video processor boards.

Schematics would be useful too if possible.

Thanks,
Green

Jotto

Aug 24, 2012
Look at you LVDS chips, maybe a cold solder joint. They will be located on the A/D board. Not a high component for failure. While on, use a wooden tongue depressor and see if that helps. Press it along the LVDS chips, there are two.

Also look at the plug from the A/D board to the panel.

I am making a guess, have never seen that problem

Last edited:

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
I've got to start shopping at the dump. It seems that's where all the best deals are.

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
I've got to start shopping at the dump. It seems that's where all the best deals are.

You have no idea, my friend who I went with in one day found 3 Xbox 360's (2 just needed the GPU resolder trick done), a PS3 (not sure what was wrong with it but another friend took that one and fixed it), and an old iMac (one of the first with an LCD screen, seemed to just need a reinstall of MacOS).

In the past he has found a 19 inch widescreen Samsung Monitor which was still under warranty, a working dehumidifier, 3 older DVR's (2 comcast and one DirectTV) which he pulled the drives out of, a performance custom built PC which he uses as a secondary PC now, and many other things, those are just the good ones.