Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Flowchart of a moving message display program using PIC

adedayo2011

Apr 21, 2011
Hi all,

Could anybody in the house please give me a clue on how to draw the flowchart of a moving message display system program in assembly language using PIC microcontroller?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Have you written any software before?

Do you have experience with writing flowcharts for anything? Or using other programming languages?

I would tend to suggest structure diagrams, because flowcharts don't lend themselves intuitively to well designed software.

If you're going to use flowcharts, start with something very simple, then do flowcharts for each of the blocks that you define, keeping these simple as well. Keep going until you have the problem defined to a level you feel you can code.

Potentially, each of those flowcharts at the lowest level will become a subroutine (especially if you find that you've referred to them in multiple places) with the upper level flowcharts being your main routine which calls these subroutines as required.

It is possible to write one huge flowchart in full detail, but you will need a huge piece of paper, identifying subroutines will be harder, and coding it will possibly create a mess.

I'm not sure how much this helps...

adedayo2011

Apr 21, 2011
Have you written any software before?

Do you have experience with writing flowcharts for anything? Or using other programming languages?

I would tend to suggest structure diagrams, because flowcharts don't lend themselves intuitively to well designed software.

If you're going to use flowcharts, start with something very simple, then do flowcharts for each of the blocks that you define, keeping these simple as well. Keep going until you have the problem defined to a level you feel you can code.

Potentially, each of those flowcharts at the lowest level will become a subroutine (especially if you find that you've referred to them in multiple places) with the upper level flowcharts being your main routine which calls these subroutines as required.

It is possible to write one huge flowchart in full detail, but you will need a huge piece of paper, identifying subroutines will be harder, and coding it will possibly create a mess.

I'm not sure how much this helps...

Thank you very much Steve. I only have the basic knowledge of flowchart using BASIC programming language. However, I got this code from a website, amended it and it work for a moving message display using PIC16F84A, but need to present the flow chart in my project report! Any more guide will be appreciated.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Well, look at the code. Determine what each bit of it does, identify branches, etc. The from this create a flowchart.

Simple to explain, perhaps not so simple to do.

For your project, were you supposed to submit your own work or someone else's?

adedayo2011

Apr 21, 2011
Well, look at the code. Determine what each bit of it does, identify branches, etc. The from this create a flowchart.

Simple to explain, perhaps not so simple to do.

For your project, were you supposed to submit your own work or someone else's?

Actually, I have used the a tutorial from "ASM for PICmicros V3" to write the program but didnt work and the tutorial didnt include flowcharts.

However, I used the knowledge obtained from the tutorial to amend the program i got from the internet. I will appreciate your recommendation of any material that teaches PIC programming in ASM with flowchart.

Thank your for your timely help.