Maker Pro
Maker Pro

FM transmitter circuit connection

Yap

Feb 13, 2017
Hi everyone. I am a newbie in electronic field. I need some helps. Recently i trying to construct a FM transmitter circuit for learning purpose. However when i try to connect a headset into the audio input, i found that the antenna isn't transmitting anything. May i know the real method for checking the circuit connection and method to connect a headset mic input into a stereo audio jack?

Attachments

• webwxgetmsgimg.jpg
    webwxgetmsgimg.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 193
  • images.png
    images.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 137

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Your schematic is so small that we cannot see its details when enlarged.
Your parts are WAY too far apart. They are supposed to be close together at the Very High Frequency of the FM band. your transistors in an old metal can look like they are 40 years old.

My FM transmitter has many more parts than yours but measures as small as a tea bag:

Attachments

• FM tx mod4 pic and schematic.jpg
    FM tx mod4 pic and schematic.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 138

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi everyone. I am a newbie in electronic field. I need some helps. Recently i trying to construct a FM transmitter circuit for learning purpose. However when i try to connect a headset into the audio input, i found that the antenna isn't transmitting anything. May i know the real method for checking the circuit connection and method to connect a headset mic input into a stereo audio jack?

hi ya
welcome to EP :)

firstly, this is a really bad way of building an RF circuit, the long track lines between components and the mutual inductance and capacitance
between parallel tracks virtually ensures that the circuit will never work as planned

I'm trying to find an example photo of a good basic method

secondly the schematic you posted is so tiny that it is unreadable. As a result we don't really know what the circuit is like
do you have a larger version you can post ?

Dave

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
i found that the antenna isn't transmitting anything. May i know the real method for checking the circuit connection and method to connect a headset mic input into a stereo audio jack?

The long leads of inductor will change its inductance value.

Make sure your using the right type of microphone. Usually an electret type. It will have two wires, hook positive side to the capacitor next to base of input transistor. hook negative side to negative ground rail.

Some capacitors might need to be ceramic type instead of electrolytic type?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I'm trying to find an example photo of a good basic method
OK couldn't find one

here instead is a very fast and rough drawing of one method of a quick and nasty board layout for experimenting
the individual pads of remaining PCB pads could be around 5mm to 10mm square and make sure there's a good gap
of around 2-3 mm of blank board area between the pads

PCB.GIF

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
We have all seen that very old circuit using obsolete transistors in metal cases. I wanted to see the project at Circuits Today but my browser said "Beware, they have a security issue".
Of course a modern headset uses an electret microphone that will not work in that simple circuit.
A stereo headset with mic uses 4 or 5 wires and only 2 of them are for the microphone. A stereo headphones jack will not work.

I have never built "dead bug" or "manhattan" styles, instead I use stripboard with the strips cut short.

Attachments

• FM transmitter.png
    FM transmitter.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 133

Yap

Feb 13, 2017
Oh i see. Thank you everyone. I will try to change my connection to a smaller scale and post once again.^~^

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Broadcast band FM radio uses equalization called "pre-emphasis" to boost high audio frequencies for transmitting and "de-emphasis" to cut the high frequencies back down to normal for receiving so that hiss picked up is reduced. All FM radios have de-emphasis so your simple transmitter that is missing pre-emphasis will sound muffled (no high audio frequencies) when heard on a normal FM radio. My FM transmitter has pre-emphasis and a capacitor that can be selected for the amount that is different at different parts of the world and it sounds like high fidelity.

GhostLoveScore

Nov 27, 2016
OK couldn't find one

here instead is a very fast and rough drawing of one method of a quick and nasty board layout for experimenting
the individual pads of remaining PCB pads could be around 5mm to 10mm square and make sure there's a good gap
of around 2-3 mm of blank board area between the pads

View attachment 32665
This seems less than ideal for RF circuits since it doesn't have large ground plane?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
This seems less than ideal for RF circuits since it doesn't have large ground plane?

using double sided board, gives a good GP
it isn't for permanent use rather it is for basic testing and will do a very much better job than a breadboard