Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Fm transmitter question

dlog247

Apr 3, 2011
Hope yaw can help me I am wanting to transmit my sound from my computer throw out the whole house. First I thought about wireless speakers then I thought about fm transmitter would be cheaper. But when I bought one it did not pick up to well no matter what channel I set it to. Does any one know of a good fm transmitter that would work for me? Or should I go back to wireless speakers?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
There are a large number of FM transmitters, however many are designed to transmit from an MP3 player to a car radio, and are therefore very short range. They are, however, also very cheap.

It is quite possible that you could ad an external antenna to one of these which would increase the transmit range significantly. (Note that they may already use the cable connecting the device to the MP3 player for this purpose).

Also, walls will attenuate the signal, so you may need to place the transmitter in the roof cavity -- if that is an option.

Did the one you bought work at close range?

MattyMatt

Mar 24, 2011
So I know this may sound odd.... but i still prefer wired to wireless... but thats because I can hear the differences not many others can/care about.

If you wanted to do wireless, there are systems out there that basically plug into your computer (or any audio source)... transmit on something in the range of 900mhz, then you buy receivers for each set of speakers.... those tend to work best... but depending on your environment... it may not work too well. A note, the receivers sometimes can plug into the wall, or operate by battery, keep in mind that these DRIVE the speakers... I recommend plugging them in..... not to mention 8D batteries kinda sucks to change out after about an hour or so.

I haven't seen too many of these lately... back when I worked at Radio Shack, we sold them for a while... but then stopped, dunno if they have anything like it anymore.

MattyMatt-