Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Footprint

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Here we go again. Finger movement and guitar playing has improved to the extent that I can start thinking seriously about messing with reverb again.
Battery needs replacing in the amplifier and I am wondering if I could replace it with a bigger one. This would take more area which at the moment is mainly occupied by the reverb tank. My question is.....could I mount the tank vertically or is it essential that it lies horizontal?

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
I know almost nothing about spring delay lines, but it would appear that mounting it vertically would increase the weight load on the driver coil, which may lead to unacceptable operation. Best suggestion I can think of is to temporarily try it in a vertical orientation and see what affect that has. Congratulations on your continuing stroke recovery! Keep on pluckin' and that muscle memory will eventually return.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Mounting the springs vertically changes the mechanical loading on each individual coil, which changes the "color" of the sound. Not automatically a bad thing, and big reverb springs in recording studios were designed with this in mind. Only answer is try it and see (hear) if you like the result.

ak

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Thanks, but after Hevan's reply I bought a different shape battery and this gave me more floor space. Did a coupla outstanding jobs on the amplifier carcase itself and put the whole thing to one side for experimenting with later. Have a more urgent job in hand. We have about 3000 slides I want to convert to digital. Purchased a Pandigital slide converter but it wont work on my windows 8.1 and am finding it impossible to contact the makers to get an upgrade. This job is taking up valuable workspace in my very cramped den.
Deigh

:eek:

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Thanks, but after Hevan's reply I bought a different shape battery and this gave me more floor space. Did a coupla outstanding jobs on the amplifier carcase itself and put the whole thing to one side for experimenting with later. Have a more urgent job in hand. We have about 3000 slides I want to convert to digital. Purchased a Pandigital slide converter but it wont work on my windows 8.1 and am finding it impossible to contact the makers to get an upgrade. This job is taking up valuable workspace in my very cramped den.
Deigh

:eek:
Deigh, little off topic from the original thread, but what is the most recent windows version your scanner supports? I tried finding drivers online... and there does not appear to be any official sources...
If it comes down to it, I can help you build a virtual machine that you can install an older windows version onto that will let you do your scanning. Once it's done simply close the virtual machine as if it was your internet browser ;)

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Thanks, XP is the latest supported version. A internet search found a couple of sites where I could download for free the latest drivers. Craftily only the download was free, in order to use them I had to pay! I resent having to do this. The suppliers have agreed to return my money and I will look for another device, making sure this time that windows 8 is supported.
Deigh:mad:

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Thanks, XP is the latest supported version. A internet search found a couple of sites where I could download for free the latest drivers. Craftily only the download was free, in order to use them I had to pay! I resent having to do this. The suppliers have agreed to return my money and I will look for another device, making sure this time that windows 8 is supported.
Deigh:mad:
Unfortunate deal... Normally if you can get Vista support you can commonly force install the drivers into newer windows versions... I have not found a way to do this with XP drivers.
Additionally, some of the higher end windows versions.. eg, ultimate, actually come with a windows XP virtual machine to use older software/hardware. This does require an extensive download to make it work.
Please also be very cautious about download drivers from any site other than the official product's site.. it's an incredibly common method of distributing virii and malware by offering hard-to-find material for free.
The pay-wall is usually a farce as well, and will only activate their software to 'automatically locate drivers' which windows does by itself for the most part anyway.
I'm glad the supplier has agreed to refund it. It's pretty sad that they only support XP considering Microsoft has actually cut-off XP at it's knees by ending support for it a while back. No one should be offering new devices that only operate on outdated operating systems.

As another potential idea, there are flat-bed scanners that come equipped with a back-light that can be used for scanning slides and negatives. You may even be able to make your own back-light if you have time to experiment. (This will require manual image editing .. eg, like inverting the colours, but if you cant find a decently priced product that works don't give up hope)

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Thanks. Had a while experimenting with photographing straight off the slide screen but this was unsatisfactory. Tried also removing the lens from the projector and again photographing direct. This did not work. Tried some tricks using printer scanner, again nothing. Eventually gave it up and ordered a commercial slide scanner. It was seriously reduced in price and that got my interest.
Too late I find that the reduction was because firm had gone broke!
Deigh