Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Forum Upgrade & Merging with Maker.pro

eerob

Administrator
Oct 15, 2018
Hi all,

Later this evening (EST) we will be upgrading the forum sofware to the most recent version of Xenforo. This update is long overdue, and will contain a number of bug fixes, new features, and improve mobile compatiblity. I'll be putting the forums into a "Read Only" mode so that no posts are lost during the upgrade process.

The other big news is we'll also be merging ElectronicsPoint with another network site, Maker.pro. We realized last year there is a lot of user interest overlap between the two communities, and we can give much better attention to improving content, features, etc with just one site (vs. managing both). We're really excited about the merge.

By tomorrow, ElectronicsPoint will be redirected over to Maker.pro. Your forum accounts will continue to work as-is, nothing will be required on your end to continue posting (besides logging in once again). The forum theme will be updated, however we will be providing a 'classic' forum theme (which you will be able to set in your Profile) if you'd like to revert back to a look more similar to the current EP theme.

Hoping everything goes smoothly (it's a big update with our team spending thousands of hours working on). As with any site (re)-launch, there may be issues we come across over the first week or so. If you notice any bugs, or have feedback, please let us know in this thread.

Rob

eerob

Administrator
Oct 15, 2018
Password reset will work, and if you you (or anyone) has any difficulties logging in, just email me direct -- [email protected]. I can help manually reset and get you in

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I guess it will take some time to get used to the new layout, which imho takes up a lot of space on the screen. At least compared to the classic EP layout.

I appreciate the "togggle BB code" button and the easy way to save and delete drafts.

What I miss:
- superscript and subscript markings are gone
- the special characters (like Ohm etc.) are gone
- requests by some members on the old forum (e.g. more special chacracters) have not been considered - the migration would have been a wonderful chance to pick up on these.

A suggestion:
would it be possible to integrate a simple inline equation editor (like eqn, mathcast, or similar) to allow quick insertion of formulas. This is a feature often needed and it takes the use of other tools and copy paste to place an acceptable looking equation into the edit window.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
What I miss:
- superscript and subscript markings are gone
- the special characters (like Ohm etc.) are gone
- requests by some members on the old forum (e.g. more special chacracters) have not been considered - the migration would have been a wonderful chance to pick up on these.

indeed, these are essential for this type of forum

cheers
Dave

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
hover over the like button and you get a choice of several emoji's
a feature common with most modern forums these days ... :) :)
I don’t have a like button. At least not from my phone. Not home so can’t check the computer.

Martin

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Where's the 'edit' fuunction - I always make spelling mistakes but can't fix them.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Not impressed with these new changes. Why couldn't the 'new' site have just been incorporated without changing 'everything'? Even the 'old' version isn't the old version! If it ain't broke etc..........

I understand the need for change but who are you trying to p-off? The new members or the old?

I'll 'retire' from the site for a few weeks to see if there's any improvement whilst I'm gone. Old age doesn't, apparently, instil patience in people like me! Sorry of this sounds (is) downbeat. I don't like change for change's sake.

eerob

Administrator
Oct 15, 2018
Thanks for all the feedback so far, I'll be working to fine-tune everything.

Symbols -- Working on it, the add-on wasn't compatible with the most recent Xenforo so I'm having a new one developed.

LaTeX works now with the f(x) icon or the [ math ] tag
[math]1+1=3[/math]
While not in the editor, [ sub ] and [ sup ] tags are working

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Testing inline LaTex:
[math]\int _{0}^{\infty} \frac{sin(x)}{x})dx[/math]

eerob

Administrator
Oct 15, 2018
Not impressed with these new changes. Why couldn't the 'new' site have just been incorporated without changing 'everything'? Even the 'old' version isn't the old version! If it ain't broke etc..........

I understand the need for change but who are you trying to p-off? The new members or the old?

I'll 'retire' from the site for a few weeks to see if there's any improvement whilst I'm gone. Old age doesn't, apparently, instil patience in people like me! Sorry of this sounds (is) downbeat. I don't like change for change's sake.

Added another theme for you to try -- "Maker Pro Retro", please give it a try

1660071617754.png