Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Free and simple schematic editor with vector eps output

S

Simon S Aysdie

Jan 1, 1970
Does anyone know of a free schematic editor or drawing tool with vector epsoutput?

I'd like an installable executable. Small footprint and "simple," if that is okay to say.

It would be for fairly simple schematic drawings, as one would use for documentation, notes, papers, essays, ... and that sort of thing.

I like vector eps as it retains resolution no matter the zooming. Whether LaTex or Word, eps ends up transforming into pdf most nicely.

Thanks.

PS: I have a commercial tool with PS output, but it is inconvenient. I endup printing to pdf, then extracting eps from that, then manually editing the eps, to then import to the word processor. That is inconvenient, and not to mention the tool is 1000x overkill regarding other features unrelated to the simple task I'd like to serve. I don't want to learn the ps/eps language.

J

Jasen Betts

Jan 1, 1970
I'd like an installable executable. Small footprint and "simple," if that is okay to say.
It would be for fairly simple schematic drawings, as one would use for documentation, notes, papers, essays, ... and that sort of thing.

Xfig, or if you can't run that fidocadj
If you want something heavier inkscape.
I like vector eps as it retains resolution no matter the zooming.

me too.

S

Simon S Aysdie

Jan 1, 1970
Maybe:

<http://opencircuitdesign.com/xcircuit/>

The data files are in Postscript format, and there's mention of

Postscript printing in the docs, so it should do EPS. However, I

haven't had time to try it. It's written for Linux, but there's a

downloadable native Windoze port on the downloads page.

Both this and xfig look intriguing.

I found this on the /XCircuit Reference Manual/ page:

"""
PostScript Mode Toggles between "Embedded (EPS)" and "Full Page". "Embedded" is the same as "encapsulated" and would typically apply to single-page figures to be incorporated into a document. Multiple-page xcircuit files (forexample, entire schematics) are "Full Page" by definition, regardless of the mode selected, because encapsulated PostScript is not particularly meaningful for multiple-page files. By default, a full-page drawing is centered on the output page. However, this behavior can be subverted by drawing a box to act as the figure's bounding box, and selecting "Options->Elements->Border->Bounding Box" from the menu.
"""

That looks to be the ticket.

Thank you.

S

Simon S Aysdie

Jan 1, 1970
Xfig, or if you can't run that fidocadj

If you want something heavier inkscape.

me too.

Thank you.

xfig definitely looks like a very good/nice package. It is amazing the stuff one can get for free.

I'll probably try XCircuit first, but I'll definitely get this installed and play around with it.

Thanks again.

S

Simon S Aysdie

Jan 1, 1970
I have used xcircuit for years, it is fast and simple,
this was done with it:
http://panteltje.com/panteltje/pic/audio_pic/

Some people even claim it is more clear than my hand written circut diagrams:
http://panteltje.com/panteltje/tri_...iment_main_board_circuit_diagram_IMG_3878.GIF

But that is probably just ......

lol.

I have already gotten a very simple .eps out of it. It automatically defines the border (extent) to be no bigger than necessary to enclose all the items, so that is very nice.

I am still very uncoordinated with it -- it'll take some practice. I can't find the "button labeled 'Embedded (EPS)'," referenced on the tutorial page.

"""
11. Now, click on the button labeled "Embedded (EPS)". You will get two choices, "Embedded" or "Full Page". Choose "Full Page".
"""

In any case, like I said, I did get a properly bounded .eps in less than an hour of being introduced to it. It is great!

J

John Devereux

Jan 1, 1970
Rich Webb said:
Humph. You're quite right, they are rather on the large size. Guess
I've just gotten used to having practically unlimited storage space
nowadays.

<clickety clickety> Looks like there's a Perl script "ps2eps" out
there. It needed a teensy bit of editing (it found /usr/bin in my
MinGW installation and assumed it running was in a *ix environment)
but it generated an eps file from a test (letter-sized single page
schematic) that was only 61K vice ps2epsi's size of about 512K.

Looks like "Dia" will to what you want?

<http://live.gnome.org/Dia>