Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Free software and libraries to simulate electrical system?

max_torch

Feb 9, 2014
Hello all,

I work at an aquaculture farm which uses three phase induction motors to provide oxygen to ponds containing fish.
I'm planning on making a computer model and simulation of the whole electrical system consisting of the electrical sources (step down transformer, with manual transfer switch to connect generator during power outage) connecting to all the loads (three phase induction motors distributed to all of the ponds). I'm hoping that it will allow me to run different what-if scenarios and verify redesign/reconnection suggestions being made before implementing.
  1. What software would be practical for this purpose? Is there a free or cheap software that can do this? What libraries/packages of that software would I need? If there is a free software I can get started on making the simulation, If not then I will have to wait for the company to make some money in order to get the software license needed.
  2. How do I verify accuracy of the simulation once it's up and running? I just have to compare to the actual measured voltage, currents, and power in the field?
  3. If the simulation is up and running this means I can run what-if scenarios correct? For example scenarios where additional motors will be added to a pond I can immediately check if the system can handle it? Or another example scenarios where a short circuit occurs at a specific place I can see which loads will be affected? Asides from reconnection/redistribution of loads and short-circuit overload scenarios, what other possible scenarios would be useful to run?
Would a simulator like Falstad suffice?
Also, I'm planning to just create an induction motor equivalent RLC circuit with transformer, save that as a subcircuit and name it "motor", and then just copy " all around to match the quantity of motors on site.
Sounds like a good plan, eh?

Last edited:

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Try LTspice. It's a free download from Analog Devices. A lot of members here use it. There's a User Group too.