Maker Pro
Maker Pro

from dimmer to switch (without mass?)

Ag0

Apr 20, 2016
Hello everyone,

I'm having a little issue at home, the outside part of my old dimmer broke and I bought a normal switch to replace it.

The dimmer had two connections, L (the power I guess) and the mass.

The new switch I bought is a double on-off switch.

On the back of this I can see only 3 screws to which you can connect cables to and they correspond to L (bottom) A1 and B1 (where according to the draw on the original box L is the main power which goes to A1 and B1 which needs to be connected to the lamp. Still from the draw, I see the mass is starting from the lightbulb and going somewhere else not in the switch.

On the switch there's also other letters, A2, B2 and C, but the socket seems to be empty of any possible connection...

How do I connect the new switch? Where should I let the ground go?

I upload a pictur too

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 75

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
The ground just goes to the mounting box, if you just require to switch a single conductor then it looks like L will switch to either of the output A1 or B1, if so just pick one.
What is 'Mass'?
M.

Ag0

Apr 20, 2016
oeps, bad italian translation sry, I meant ground uahahah

Of course my intention is to connect the cable to either A1 or B1, but I'm not sure about how to plug those cables...

'cause from the draw you can see they want me to plug the power to the switch and connect the ground from the lamp to somewhere else, while with the dimmer I just had power and ground both connected to the dimmer.

So, I have those two cables, a brown and a black one... what do I have to do, put the brown cable in "L" and the black one in "A1"?

Thank you for your quick reply

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Yes that would make sense to me.
That old symbol does not look like ground to me, but the controlled live output, ground is usually the metalic enclosure etc.
That drawing on the RH side looks correct.
If by ground you mean Neutral then usually the neutral would already be at the lamps so, again, you should only need to switch the live conductor(s) which answers your question at the end.
M.

Ag0

Apr 20, 2016
OOh ok! That symbol is not ground then! Thanks I was freaking out lol

So brown cable to L and black cable to A1, am I correct? Always better double check ^^

Thank you very much again for the help at this time in the evening

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Prego.
If one is the live conductor and the other the lamp conductor, then yes.
M.

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
oeps, bad italian translation sry, I meant ground uahahah

Of course my intention is to connect the cable to either A1 or B1, but I'm not sure about how to plug those cables...

'cause from the draw you can see they want me to plug the power to the switch and connect the ground from the lamp to somewhere else, while with the dimmer I just had power and ground both connected to the dimmer.

So, I have those two cables, a brown and a black one... what do I have to do, put the brown cable in "L" and the black one in "A1"?

Thank you for your quick reply

Yes,
One to "L" the other to "A1" (or "A2")
When the switch is closed the brown and black are connected supplying the "Live feed" to the lamp.