Maker Pro
Maker Pro

fuel gauge ground

HDM

Sep 18, 2017
Hello, HDM here. I am new and need some help.
Problem, Installing a replacement fuel gauge ground. I have the power to the Bat stud. I have the sending unit to the S stud. I have the ground on the gauge, grounded to the dash frame.. Now whereas the weird problem starts. when I ground the sending unit it will peg the needle on the gauge. no matter where or how I ground it it pegs the needle. BUT IF I GROUND THE SENDING UNIT WITH MY 12 VOLT TEST LIGHT THE GAUGE WORKS FINE. I have tried different places to ground and different wire etc. Help!!!!

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Welcome to EP!
Are you sure the sender unit has the right resistance for the gauge you're using? Sounds like the gauge might be intended to work with a higher-resistance sender.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Hello, HDM here. I am new and need some help.
Problem, Installing a replacement fuel gauge ground. I have the power to the Bat stud. I have the sending unit to the S stud. I have the ground on the gauge, grounded to the dash frame.. Now whereas the weird problem starts. when I ground the sending unit it will peg the needle on the gauge. no matter where or how I ground it it pegs the needle. BUT IF I GROUND THE SENDING UNIT WITH MY 12 VOLT TEST LIGHT THE GAUGE WORKS FINE. I have tried different places to ground and different wire etc. Help!!!!

There is no ground on the guage itself (except maybe for an illuminating lamp)
The gauge is fed with a regulated supply and a single line gets the "ground" return through the sender in the tank.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Can you post a link to the gauge datasheet/spec/image?

pepi

Sep 20, 2017
The gauge and sender must match.. example GM requires a 90ohm sending unit, Ford requires 180 ohm sending unit.

Are you sure what you think is a ground connection for the gauge, isn't really the connection for the gauge light?

Only 3 connections on the gauge, battery power, gauge light and the sending unit. Sending unit has one, connected from the S terminal on the back of the gauge The sending unit gets its ground from the tank mounting screws.

You would only need to add a ground wire from the sending unit. IF the tank is made of poly or is supported with steel bands that have a rubber insulation between the bands and tank.

Greg