Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Fujitsu inverter overcurrent

nortitec

Jan 31, 2010
I am having problems with an inverter in a fujitsu laptop. when only with battery I have 11v input in the inverter. if I conect the power suply I get 20v in the inverter. when I plug power the inverter get damaged. 11v is the battery power and 20v is the charger power. so the problem is the current is going directly to inverter. does anyone knows what component is damaged ? probably in the motherboad.

thanks

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Are you saying that the inverter exhibits signs of damage (e.g. smoke or something getting very hot) when you connect the power supply?

Or are you just assuming that 20V to the inverter will cause problems?

Or something else...?

nortitec

Jan 31, 2010
Are you saying that the inverter exhibits signs of damage (e.g. smoke or something getting very hot) when you connect the power supply?

Or are you just assuming that 20V to the inverter will cause problems?

Or something else...?

I have one inverter damaged. I tested the input and it varies between 11v (on battery) and 19v (on power). is it normal ?. I am afraid to damaged another one changing it for a new one. As the old one does not work and is not the fuse, is something else I could not find.

thanks

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
What make and model is the laptop?

I haven't been inside a laptop power supply, but it would surprise me if it's not switchmode. Switchmode power supplies can be very tolerant of varying input voltages (for example PC power supplies often allow between 90 and 260 volts input).

19V adapters are very common for laptops. I recall a number that I've owned all having AC adapters with outputs close to that.

It is most likely that the power supply has a fault caused by something other than the input voltages.

The easiest thing to check for is swollen capacitors and charred components. Look for electrolytic capacitors with domed tops or stuff oozing out of them, or sitting at unusual angles. Look for components with charring, or parts of the board that look browned or blackened by heat.

Is the power supply a separate board from the rest of the laptop, or is it part of the motherboard?

What is your skill level?

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
You're saying the inverter is in the laptop, but what is the inverter for, what's the output?
Has the backlight failed and that's the reason you're in there in the first place?