Maker Pro
Maker Pro

fuzzy and flickering TV screen

luke4312

Oct 22, 2014
OK I have a lg TV modle# 42pc3d-ud that I got for free from my grandfather he showed me what was wrong with it....the TV turns on and stays on but the screen is fuzzy dark and flickers like a strobe light so I assumed that it was capacitors ( had simular problem with old Samsung and it worked) so I took the back off the TV looked at the board and sure enough it had 9 blown capacitors so I ordered new ones from amazon ( had a giftcard) cost like 12 dollars for a 10 pack the capacitors are 10v 3300u 105° so i slapped those suckers on and the TV had no change :( ..... What could be wrong with it?!?!?!? Could it be a bad power cord ( one that plugs into wall) the power cord is not the original power cord for this tv could that be the problem? If not what could it be?? PS. The sound works just fine and my grand father had new power cord witch is white on TV for a wile before it broke. Thanks for your time and I appreciate any response

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi luke
welcome to EP :)

1) so when you say those 9 caps were blown, you could see physical damage with them?

2) there may still be other caps that have dried out and gone faulty that don't show exterior damage

3) have you got a service manual or schematic ? have you searched online ?

4) some sharp well lit pics of the circuit boards particularly the ones showing the caps you have so far replaced
show both sides of the boards ( DONT use a flash .... it produces a big over exposed patch)

Cheers
Dave

luke4312

Oct 22, 2014
Yes physical damage I will have to look for ones without physical damage how do u tell if they are dried up? And i do not have a manual..could it be the board its self?... Or power cord?