Maker Pro
Maker Pro

FX controls Pirate cannon

OzarkJim

Oct 23, 2022
Setting up a pirate cannon for Halloween. Need to be able to activate the fog machine for few seconds (has a remote switch with a pusbutton that could be tapped into) and turn on a light bulb that needs to dim slowly over about 60 seconds.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Is there a question in there somewhere or is this just a basic "look what I did"....??

OzarkJim

Oct 23, 2022
Yes absolutely there is a question. I am looking for the circuits to make that happen. Schematics or something.

Is everyone on this site so sarcastic?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I am looking for the circuits to make that happen. Schematics or something.
Maybe if you appended that sentence on your original post perhaps?

You might even include the word 'thanks'.

PS - no sarcasm intended - just being polite helps.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
What is the purpose of this forum?
Apparently we're here to give free advice to ungrateful and impolite people. Since our time, effort and input to the forum is 'free' I suppose you have every right to expect the membership to drop everything to assist you.

If you're not a millennium you are, at the least, 'entitled' - and 'ignored'.

OzarkJim

Oct 23, 2022
Apparently we're here to give free advice to ungrateful and impolite people. Since our time, effort and input to the forum is 'free' I suppose you have every right to expect the membership to drop everything to assist you.

If you're not a millennium you are, at the least, 'entitled' - and 'ignored'.
Apparently your only on here to be critical of new members and run them off!!! You are successful at that for sure!

So far three replies and none were helpful answers or even encouraging.

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

Will the fog machine be in "standby"?
As far as I know a "cold" fog machine takes some time to create a fog.

Warm-up time: All fog machines need to warm up for a period of time before they can start producing fog.
This varies from two or three minutes up to ten minutes for some machines.
If a long warm-up time will negatively affect your event, aim for one that works more quickly.

Bertus

OzarkJim

Oct 23, 2022
Hello,

Will the fog machine be in "standby"?
As far as I know a "cold" fog machine takes some time to create a fog.

Bertus
Many thanks for the reply addressing my question.

The fog machines will be in standby and only need to have a signal to work. These are cheap machines with a remote control pushbutton switch on a cord. I was thinking I could leave machines plugged in and just tap into the switch to send active signal.

The idea is to make a cannon sound on loudspeakers while activating the fog and a light inside the cannon at the same time. I have remote control 110 volt switch that I bought at Walmart for activation. Just need to take that signal and have it run fog for 10 seconds and dim the bulb for about 30 seconds.

We have the cannons mounted in a broken pirate ship bow that we built out of wood. We will be using it at an RV park near a large city that puts on a Halloween bash every year. Last year I am guessing well over a 1000 kids attended the event. There are about 150 campsites and nearly every one is involved. Some put on serious shows.

I have already tried the effect manually and it looks great at night. The red light really makes the cannon smoke glow. But since I will be dressed as one of the pirates and out front attending to the candy bowl I need the remote system if possible. I can just use the remotes I bought and mechanical relays to activate the fog but that won't dim the bulb and the fog will have to run as long as the bulb is on.

OzarkJim

Oct 23, 2022
I actually have a full disco lighting setup with wireless DMX control but don't want to tie that up on this project and do the programming (would have to remove some of the DJ programs).

We do plan to add on to the display in the future and it may get to the point where I would use full stage lighting if enough people are helping with it.

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

What kind of light do you intend to use for the "canon"?
A DC light could be dimmed using PWM.
There are also led drivers with a signal input for dimming (usualy a 0 - 10 Volts signal).

Bertus

OzarkJim

Oct 23, 2022
Hello,

What kind of light do you intend to use for the "canon"?
A DC light could be dimmed using PWM.
There are also led drivers with a signal input for dimming (usualy a 0 - 10 Volts signal).

Bertus
I was just going to use full sized red bulb in a lamp type socket. BUT the LED idea might be a better choice. LED tape would not be in the way of the smoke as bad (fog machine is mounted at back of cannon and shoots thru a 4" PVC barrel that light needs to be in.

I actually used LED tape lights in our Church behind a large cross as backlighting. It is DMX controlled and can dim (plus change color).

OzarkJim

Oct 23, 2022
Hello,

What kind of bulb did you have in mind?
How many lumen would that bulb have?

There are led cob chips that are high power.
Leds would need a heatsink.

Bertus
Brightness is not a major factor on light. A 60watt bulb is enough. Basically I need a switch simple circuit closing on off switch) that I can send 110volt signal to that will stay on for about 5 seconds then automatically turn off. At the same time I need a seperate circuit operated by the same 110volt signal to send 110 volts to a light bulb and dim over about 30 seconds. I want to use 110 volt signal as I already have remote operated 110 volt plugs that work well at range and thru the metal of the cannons.

The sequence is Cannon fire sound on loudspeakers, turn on fog machine for 5 seconds and at same time turn on light full bright, fog turns off after 5 seconds and light dims for 30 seconds to zero. FYI: can't trigger sequence with sound as there is background music even when cannons are not firing.