Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Gale 3090 Subwoofer repairable? Burning smell on circuit board - speaker is fine ( I think )

DanH

Dec 9, 2023
Hi Folks, I'm after advice if this is repairable or not. I'm in UK.

After plugging in new amp the other day, the sub started to produce a loud mid range hum and no audio output. The unit was fine before, great sound. On closer inspection the burning smell seems to be coming from these resistors (?) . I'm not into electronics but I have a multimeter and soldering iron and am willing to give it a go.

If it's not repairable, is it possible to buy replacements or even a new amp for the sub? I'd hate to have to throw away the whole unit.

I've attached a photo of where the scorch marks are below. Maybe there's further damage elsewhere - I'm not really sure what I'm looking at. Any advice greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Attachments

• 1702122316798.png
    1702122316798.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 13

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
From current view, it looks really sick.
Can only imagine the underside view and amount of work involved.
Might be time for a new unit.

Ylli

Jun 19, 2018
From a bit of research, it looks like this is the same as a Sven HA-675. R331 and R332 are part of the filtering for the+/-12 volts that is used on the input board.

Let's start by unplugging the cable from the amp board (the one that goes to the input board). Using your meter's ohm's range (200 ohm range if your meter isn't autoranging), put the meter black lead on the cable pin 3. The using the red lead, probe pins 2 & 4. Post the results. If you meter reads the same as when it is not connected, then indicate it is showing open circuit.

Put the meter black lead on pin 3 of the connector attached to the amp board. Probe pin 4 with the red lead. Report the resistance measured. Now put the read lead on pin 3 and probe pin 2. report the resistance.

Attachments

• ha-675-amp-board.pdf
    181.7 KB · Views: 0
  • ha-675-input-board.pdf
    129.5 KB · Views: 0

DanH

Dec 9, 2023
Thanks for replying. Unfortunately I've since discovered my speaker is also blown. I've hooked it up to an external subwoofer amp and it sounds like a distorted flapping mess. The resistance was OK ( just over 4ohms ) but there's an audible scraping sound if I depress the cone. My new objective is to source a replacement 12 inch driver under £100. Would be grateful for any recommendations! I'm using a 220w output subwoofer amp.
Thanks again Dan