Maker Pro
Maker Pro

garage door opener

Ehephasze

Nov 15, 2018
I replaced a circuit board on a garage door opener after it was struck by lightening and the remote will not work. The wall mount switch works. I checked the sensor voltage on the other door with the same brand name and had a reading of 3 volts. I checked the door in question and it is at 80 volts.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
You likely have to program it (new board) to your remote control so it can communicate.
Theres usually a learn button that you hold down while someone else clicks the remote.
That way it will learn its code (frequency)

What sensor are you referring to?

Ehephasze

Nov 15, 2018
I did that numerous times, and it did not reprogram. I also deactivated my other remote on the other garage stall and reprogramed the remote from the problem stall to the functional one and it worked, so it's not the remote. Answer to your question the door sensors.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
I checked the sensor voltage on the other door with the same brand name and had a reading of 3 volts. I checked the door in question and it is at 80 volts.
That doesn't sound healthy. Was your replacement board an OEM one, or a pre-used/anonymous one from some dubious online source?

Ehephasze

Nov 15, 2018
This came from sears as a panel package, not only did I get the circuit board but also everything else with it.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
So we can conclude that the replacement pcb is most probably ok. That leaves the door sensor as the likely culprit.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
The sears door photo sensors I'm familiar with use a pulsed 6 volt DC signal that shows up on a digital meter as about 5v.
If the beam us broken or misaligned it changes to a steady 6 volts to notify control board.
Before bying another, You could try swapping the sensors or the boards and see if the problem follows.

Ehephasze

Nov 15, 2018
Over the Holiday, I swapped out the power units. The one fully functional from my garage stall to my wife's so she would not have to deal with the problem and it worked without having to switch the door sensors.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Good that you've narrowed it down.

By power unit, you mean the main pcb, or an ac adapter that needs replacement ?

Ehephasze

Nov 15, 2018
ok, the power unit which includes the new logic board, motor, lights, and the outer shell.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Does the unit have a switch to allow you to open/close the door? Does this work?

Ehephasze

Nov 15, 2018
I have a bit information that might be pertinent, when installing the new logic board/ panel I mistakenly put the the colored wires in the wrong place.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Did you correct this before you applied power?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
We'll, it depends on how it was miswired. But it is certainly a possibility.

It may not be easy to determine what has been damaged.

A good clear image of the board and a description of what wires were connected incorrectly (preferably exactly how they were miswired) may assist us in determining what could have been damaged.

This is the sort of information which is critical and would have been best placed in your first post...

Ehephasze

Nov 15, 2018
A good clear image of the board and a description of what wires were connected incorrectly (preferably exactly how they were miswired) may assist us in determining what could have been damaged.

There are three colored wires, one red, three white, two black ,six wires total. One red and white goes to the wall switch, and the final wires to the sensors, one white, one black to each door sensor. I miss wired one white into the two black ones on the logic board.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ehephasze

Nov 15, 2018
Here is a description. There three colored wires, one red, three whites, two black for a total of six. One red and one white for the wall switch, one white and one black for each door sensor. I mistakenly put one white wire into the black wire slot with the black wires. Which white wire's place in the mix is your guess is as good as mine.