Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Garage door remote water damaged

Mitchka

Mar 16, 2020
3
Joined
Mar 16, 2020
Messages
3
I have a garage door remote that went through a wash cycle.
Not it works for a short time after it has been discharge and battery re-inserted.
Any ideas on possibly fixing this by some cleaning process using isopropyl alcohol?
 

Harald Kapp

Moderator
Moderator
Nov 17, 2011
13,648
Joined
Nov 17, 2011
Messages
13,648
You can try to clean it with demineralized water, then rinse with alcohol and let it dry completely. Visually inspect for any residue (it often shows as a white powdery film. If you find some, try to remove it using more demineralited water and e.g. a soft toothbrush.
Then give it a try.
You may upload a crsip foto of your remote's PCB (front and back), maybe someone here can point you into the right direction where to look for possible problems.
 

bertus

Moderator
Nov 8, 2019
3,267
Joined
Nov 8, 2019
Messages
3,267
Hello,

What are the keys made of?
When they are of the rubbery kind, the graphite layer om the inside of the key may be damaged.

Bertus
 

Mitchka

Mar 16, 2020
3
Joined
Mar 16, 2020
Messages
3
Thanks Harald
Will give that a try first as they is some powdery film.

Hi Bertus the switches seem to work fine after i insert the cr2032 battery into the
remote. After taking some close up photos there is some corrosion.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20200313_135000.jpg
    IMG_20200313_135000.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200316_223900.jpg
    IMG_20200316_223900.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 8

Harald Kapp

Moderator
Moderator
Nov 17, 2011
13,648
Joined
Nov 17, 2011
Messages
13,648
But it stops working after a few minutes
Sounds like the batteries are drained by a short circuit or similar. Does the remote send commands without a button being pressed? That would indicate that the rf transmitter is active when it should be off. one reason for that could be a short circuit in one or more of the buttons as well as a conductive path on the pcb where none should be. If the problem persists after cleaning the pcb, inspect the buttons. If you have a multimeter, you can set it to Ω and measure between the pins of the buttons. There should be a very high resistance (in fact the meter should indicate overload or out of range) when the button is not pressed. There should be a very low resistance (< 100 Ω) when the button is pressed. A low resistance without the button being pressed indicates a problem.
Be aware, however, that you are measuring the button within the circuit. This may lead to erroneous results as the other components in the circuit influence the measurement. Ideally you'd de-solder the buttons for measuring, but it can be tricky to do that and reattach them without doing damage to either pcb or button.
 
Top