Maker Pro
Maker Pro

General Electric Questions

ken coffey

Apr 23, 2018
Bipass cooling fans on bitmain S9 miner or circuit to replace four wire fan?

Kabelsalat

Jul 5, 2011
I tend to think that General Electric probably may be able to manufactor proper (or heavily oversized) cables.

No. Replacing a 4 wire fan with a 3 wire fan should be no problem, but you won't be able to control it's speed unless you have some circuit between. But it depends on what you're trying to achieve. Easiest solution is to just have a 3 pin fan running at full speed the whole time. You would just omit the pmw pin connection.

ken coffey

Apr 23, 2018
No I want to run with out fans, but miner knows there unplugged, It needs to see something there

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I would tend to think then, that it would be unwise to run without the fan, as the device was obviously in need of one to operate efficiently (or so the people who designed it thought).

Robert_fay

Jun 15, 2017
I think it would be best to run it with a fan, that said I believe that it is looking for a pwm signal to show that the fan is there and working. You would need to replace that in order to show that a fan is there. I am not sure how "smart" the system is if it is looking for a responsive signal depending on how fast or slow the 4 wire fan in running. Unlikely as that is that could be a issue as well.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
No I want to run with out fans, but miner knows there unplugged, It needs to see something there
That seems like a foolish thing to do considering it's a $1000 bit of kit and high thermal density with "Power Consumption: 1375W + 7% (at the wall, with APW3 ,93% efficiency, 25C ambient temp)"

If you just want to destroy it, try a sledge hammer.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
No I want to run with out fans. ...
WHY do you want to run without fans? That puppy will self-destruct without convection forced-air cooling. Even if you mount it inside a refrigerated compartment (chest freezer?) it will still need those two fans to circulate chilled air over the electronic components.

How much do you know about electronics? Is it comparable to your knowledge concerning Bitcoin mining? How many S9s are you planning to run simultaneously? Are you aware of the impending development of quantum computers and their impact on Bitcoin mining? Can your S9 compete with a quantum computer running a thousand peta-hashes per micro-second? Can you even compete with the Chinese (who pay almost nothing for electricity) and still make a profit? Is there a future to Bitcoin, or will its bubble pop and collapse because, like gold or any other "rare" commodity, it has little to no intrinsic value other than rarity. At least with diamonds, gold, and other "precious" metals you can make some pretty fancy jewelry, and maybe in a pinch trade some of it for gasoline or groceries. What can you do with an electronic wallet full of Bitcoins? Maybe buy a pizza somewhere?

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
^ At least for the time being with bitcoin still valued, you can buy all kinds of black market/illegal/etc goods and services on the dark web. That's always been the best use I saw for bitcoin, digitally move it into escrow until completion of a transaction with an anonymous stranger.

Hopup

Jul 5, 2015
Bitcoin is bubble obviously. It does not provide real anonymity, it is hard to use for average person and it is not all that safe because of ease of hacking.

Sure there are lot of illegal stuff like drugs bought with it but it is again not very anonymous and can be traced.