Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Generating Multiple Frequencies

Tiaan

Jun 28, 2016
Hey guys

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum section...

Explanation: I am currently starting a project where I need to generate +/- 100 different frequencies, each that will let an infrared led blink. these led's will be paired with their own receivers/decoders. I have been looking at a chip that can generate 4 separate timers, but that will still mean I am going to need 100/4 chips.

Question: Is there a processor/chip that is dedicated to generating frequencies that has more outputs or something similar. Or is there a different approach that I can maybe follow? I am not an electronics expert, but I think capacitors let different frequencies through, correct? Can I not create a frequency divider on one data line, using different capacitors (coupled with resistors) or wont that work?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Why not use a single frequency (around 40kHz is commonly used) and modulate it with a binary code?

8 bits will give you 256 combinations. The receiver simply needs to decode this and compare it with a configured "address".

There are devices which will return the binary code serially (a TSOP1738 is an example -- it operates at 38kHz).

You could pair this up with a microcontroller so that one code (0 to 127) starts the LED flashing and another code (128 to 255 -- the turn on code + 128) stops it.

The transmitter would probably use a similar microcontroller and LED along with something (a keypad?) for you to select the code and whether to turn it on or off.

Tiaan

Jun 28, 2016
Thanks Steve. Sorry if my explanation was not clear enough, but I wanted to do different frequencies to separate the IR led's from each other. This is because they might be in each other's field of view. Except if I can send the binary code one by one, but that will have to happen extremely fast since I need to track a bb gun pallet moving through the array of triggers.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Then perhaps you should start by telling us exactly what you want to achieve rather than how you think it can be done.

What exactly do you mean by "track[ing] a bb gun pellet?"

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I have no idea how one generates -100 frequencies. Does this involve time reversal?

Bob

Tiaan

Jun 28, 2016
@Steve
I am trying to make an interactive display that can track where a player shot with his bb/air gun. The pallets are 4.6mm (sorry not sure what that is in inches) in diameter. The conventional way is to have a red led pointer installed in the gun's barrel and then combine that with a camera and red-dot tracking software, but I want to find a better, more robust solution.

I have been looking into resistive touch screens as a possible solution as well. Please see the image attached. That is the best I can explain it. Thanks again.

Attachments

• screen sample.jpg
    screen sample.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 67

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
(sorry not sure what that is in inches)

what are inches?

So, is your problem locating where the bb gun was pointing, or lighting up a LED behind that point?

I'm not sure how the 100 LEDs thing relates to the former, or would be particularly useful for the latter.

how big is the target and how accurately do you need to position the point that was aimed at?

Tiaan

Jun 28, 2016
Well, I am trying to locate where the bullet hits the screen. These led's are placed close against the screen so when the player shoots a bullet, it should brake one line of leds on the x and y axis. The image I attached only shows the y axis leds. Hope this helps to clarify?

BTW sorry, I am a software simulation developer. I only do hobby electronics.

Attachments

• 3d_sample.jpg
    3d_sample.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 93