Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Geometry issue and error in Philips 27ps55s CRT TV

jeffsmith3141

May 24, 2022
Hello,

Geometry issue and error in Philips 27ps55s CRT TV.

Can anyone with this same TV verify if they go into the service menu, they see error code 12 and if the horizontal settings for HP and HB actually change the geometry of the screen?

Thanks!

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir jeffsmith3141 . . . . .

It's over 20 years old! Does ANYONE still have a CRT television these days?

Yeth . . . .Yeth . . . AND . . . YETH . . . . . . ever heard of possible use of these TV's by GAMERS ?
One would be hard pressed to find satisfaction in the video refresh response times of some faaaaast action displayed. . . when using a S L O W LCD displays, versus the lightning fast times of a CRT based display medium..

Question for Sir Jeffrey . . . . . is that E12 . . . . being shown as a read out on the display screen or is it having to be interpreted by counting spaced out blink codes from a flashing LED ?
Probably it is related to a PAST time failure in the power supply and repair . . . but that set code was then not cleared from the u/P's EAROM memory chip.

Now . . . . when in service mode and trying to engage the mentioned effects of adjusting HORIZONTAL aspects of HP and HA.
Are you then having to use incoming video being displayed . . . . being it moving scenes or a still scene ? . . . when you are trying to interpret the picture change effected by those HP and HA adjustments ?
BECAUSE . . . . . a hundred years ago . . . . you had to have a cross hatch pattern generator being connected in as your video source, to see how to align upon..
That created pattern was a crosshatch of white vertical and horizontal lines that gave you a rock steady pattern to make adjustments to. . . . and thereby, be able to see EXACTLY what changes were being affected by specific adjustments made.

Its 'a . . . look 'a . . . like 'a . . . dis . . . . . . .

https://www.mediacollege.com/video/test-patterns/convergence/

Say you now had a cross hatch connected to the set, take note of the effect that HA would have on the cross hatch.
The top reference RED arrow is relating to the center vertical line.
As you adjust HA from extremes, the crosshatch would shift to right or left of center . . .see the arrows.

As the HB is adjusted . . . see the normal, center 4 squares and then note as HB is adjusted , extreme left side and right sides squares transition to different widths of rectangles from their, correctly being . . . . .squares .

What you actually want . . . might be PICTURE FORMAT, which is usually in the standard menu . . . to shift between 4:5 or 16:9 screen display ratios
or ZOOM.
Explain your specific situation ?

CROSS HATCH ALIGNMENT PATTERN DEPICTION . . . .
upload_2022-5-26_17-27-53.png

73's de Edd . . . . .

WHY IS THERE BEING AN EXPIRATION DATE ON MY SOUR CREAM CONTAINER?

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
I have a 25" 1976 Zenith Avante . . . in guest bedroom . . . . It works FINE !.
( Via Rat Shack digital converter box-----I built in - - - - - that switches on TV power via a Triac
- - - and adds the remote tuning / volume attributes of the converter box )
upload_2022-5-27_8-39-5.png

Last edited:

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Can anyone with this same TV
my bold....

I was commenting on, not only the rarity of anyone still having a CRT set for everyday use but the OP's implication that someone would have an identical model! That gives another level of 'rarity' to the request!

Being (also) as I'm a long standing member of a vintage radio/TV forum I'm perfectly at home with people still having and using CRT sets albeit mostly on a level where the sets are far, far older (b&w for the most part).

Happy to note the response the OP has received although he hasn't been back! (yet?)

jeffsmith3141

May 24, 2022

It's over 20 years old! Does ANYONE still have a CRT television these days?

Yeth . . . .Yeth . . . AND . . . YETH . . . . . . ever heard of possible use of these TV's by GAMERS ?
One would be hard pressed to find satisfaction in the video refresh response times of some faaaaast action displayed. . . when using a S L O W LCD displays, versus the lightning fast times of a CRT based display medium..

Question for Sir Jeffrey . . . . . is that E12 . . . . being shown as a read out on the display screen or is it having to be interpreted by counting spaced out blink codes from a flashing LED ?
Probably it is related to a PAST time failure in the power supply and repair . . . but that set code was then not cleared from the u/P's EAROM memory chip.

Now . . . . when in service mode and trying to engage the mentioned effects of adjusting HORIZONTAL aspects of HP and HA.
Are you then having to use incoming video being displayed . . . . being it moving scenes or a still scene ? . . . when you are trying to interpret the picture change effected by those HP and HA adjustments ?
BECAUSE . . . . . a hundred years ago . . . . you had to have a cross hatch pattern generator being connected in as your video source, to see how to align upon..
That created pattern was a crosshatch of white vertical and horizontal lines that gave you a rock steady pattern to make adjustments to. . . . and thereby, be able to see EXACTLY what changes were being affected by specific adjustments made.

Its 'a . . . look 'a . . . like 'a . . . dis . . . . . . .

https://www.mediacollege.com/video/test-patterns/convergence/

Say you now had a cross hatch connected to the set, take note of the effect that HA would have on the cross hatch.
The top reference RED arrow is relating to the center vertical line.
As you adjust HA from extremes, the crosshatch would shift to right or left of center . . .see the arrows.

As the HB is adjusted . . . see the normal, center 4 squares and then note as HB is adjusted , extreme left side and right sides squares transition to different widths of rectangles from their, correctly being . . . . .squares .

What you actually want . . . might be PICTURE FORMAT, which is usually in the standard menu . . . to shift between 4:5 or 16:9 screen display ratios
or ZOOM.
Explain your specific situation ?

CROSS HATCH ALIGNMENT PATTERN DEPICTION . . . .
View attachment 55269

73's de Edd . . . . .

WHY IS THERE BEING AN EXPIRATION DATE ON MY SOUR CREAM CONTAINER?

Hi, thanks for the reply. I was using a grid test program on my Wii connected using component cables. For some reason, adjusting HP and HB settings in the service menu do not adjust the geometry. I don't know if it is because the TV has a fault, or the hardware in the TV just ignores any changes to HP and HB (the other settings do change the geometry, just not those two).

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

It seems that GEOMETRY is more important . . . . and the effect is more noticeable . . . . on LARGER CRT sizes.
Particularly the select few 40's ever made and the 35/36 and the 32's declining observances . You have the smaller 27.
So o o o o o o if you are observing . . .with your now confirmed pattern source . . . . that the vertical center line is plumb vertically . . .straight up and down . . . .no adjustment is needed there on HA.

And then if the . . .left side to right side . . . center horizontal line is level and ALSO that the like lines at the very top and very bottom of the screen do not have a bow to them all is well with the HB.

So all is well . . . and let the Wii continue.