Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Getting ready to manufacture something and need advice for detachable battery pack.

Doc_K

Feb 3, 2015
Hey guys! I've never manufactured something before and this is only the second other thing I've invented, so forgive me, I'm learning still. The device I'm working on has to have a rechargeable battery pack. We have the rechargeable batteries, the micro-usb recharge terminal and the casing designed, but I need to have a way to make it removable. I understand that one side will need to have a spring locking mechanism, but what I'm having trouble with finding are terminals that I can use to connect the battery pack to the device when the two pieces lock in together. Think Xbox 360 Controller. Are there any places that sell anything like this? I've seen what look like brass or copper terminals and even plain metal ones. Please let me know if what I'm talking about doesn't make sense. I'm not sure what the proper terminology for these are. Thanks guys!

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
If the device has a recharge socket, why would you want to make the battery 'easily' removable? For 90%+ of its life the battery won't even need to come out - surely?

In which case, for the very odd occasion it DID need to be removed, a simple wired plug/socket arrangement would suffice and be far easier to obtain.

Battery terminals need 'mounting' so even if you found the spring-lock mechanisms (or whatever) that suited you'd need to have a case designed - 3D printed, injection moulded etc - to accommodate them..... and that costs!

Doc_K

Feb 3, 2015
Well, we need to make it waterproof and this method is way of getting power from the batteries. I'm using one of these. Can I draw power from the micro-USB part? https://www.adafruit.com/product/1904 I thought that's what the 5v and ground pins were for.

Sorry, I'm not sure how to explain what I need.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Waterproof? Or splash proof? There's a world of difference and a leap in cost between them.

You can draw around 500mA from a micro USB socket.