Maker Pro
Maker Pro

GFCI receptacles tripped for no reason

Ridgerunner2

Mar 16, 2017
I installed 3 GFCI receptacles a week ago in the kitchen. 1 on one circuit and the other 2 on a different circuit. I woke up this morning and found all of them had been tripped and not working and the 1 on the single circuit was showing red. I tried to reset them and they would not reset. The lights in the kitchen and switches on the these circuits were however still working. I finely went down to the circuit breaker box and reset the breakers for those circuits and returned to the kitchen and they all shown green and were working. The GFCI's in the bathrooms on different circuits were not tripped. Does anyone have any Idea what could have caused this?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
yes.
Without further info I'm afraid that's as much as I can say.

Ridgerunner2

Mar 16, 2017
What further information do you need? I gutted the kitchen and rerouted new wired to some of the junction boxes. Everything worked fine for the last week. Something happened during the night - brown out maybe?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
A diagram of how you connected everything would be a good start.
Then the type of breaker or at least a link to the specs.
What loading you have on the individual circuits and what you expect to have running or even simply plugged in to the circuit when the problems occurred.

Usually a red indicator on a safety switch ( if that is what I "think" it is) means an overload , not a leakage problem.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
This is likely the result of having neutrals (grounded white wire) from different circuits mixed together.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
I interpreted the post to mean the red ground fault indicator on the gfci outlet was on.
If that's the case it's because the current on the hot and neutral (grounded) are not drawing the same amount of current.

Some gfci outlets will trip and not reset if power is lost (in this case because the branch circuit breaker tripped)

Ridgerunner2

Mar 16, 2017
These circuits are the ones that have bee used for the kitchen for 30 years. I just rerouted with new #12 wiring and junction boxes for the GFCI receptacles with this remodel, There are no neutral wires from different circuits mixed together.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
These circuits are the ones that have bee used for the kitchen for 30 years. I just rerouted with new #12 wiring and junction boxes for the GFCI receptacles with this remodel, There are no neutral wires from different circuits mixed together.
30 years with without gfci outlets I presume.
The gfci is seeing an imbalance. Either you have neutrals improperly tied together or there's an insulation problem.
It only takes about 3-6ma of leakage current to trip them.
Btw, if these are receptacles serving countertops in your kitchen, they're not allowed to be tied to anything else, including range hood or lights.