Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Got any ideas for using an old fridge?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Due to a crappy company selling me a large (550 litre) storage freezer then 'going bust' and not honouring the warranty (it's now defective) I'm the 'proud' owner of a large storage freezer that doesn't work and is BER.

It's going to be a PITA to dispose of (I have to take the door/frame off the room it's in just to get it outside!) so I'm trying to think of ways to use it for anything other than its intended. Simple storage or dry goods is one use but can anyone think of a use for such a container that might be more profitable?

We hatch eggs but I don't have a requirement for an incubator THAT big!!!! So, got any ideas that, even if it requires building some warming device or whatever, might put the box to good use?

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Repair it?
Use it as a proving oven if you make your own bread?
Re-orientate it if necessary and fit it with shelves to store your electronis stuff?
Convert to novelty bath-tub?
Dog kennel?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Repair it?
Too expensive - cheaper to buy a new fridge!
Use it as a proving oven if you make your own bread?
If I was baking bread for the local community maybe!!!!
Re-orientate it if necessary and fit it with shelves to store your electronis stuff?
Hmmm.. possibly. We have considered using it for dry goods storage but that sort of gets away from the fact it's a 'super-insulated box' that could be heated/cooled for a specific purpose.
Convert to novelty bath-tub?
:p possibly for Mrs k_e but I'm 6ft 2" and 200lbs - ..... ain't gonna happen!
Dog kennel?
We're cat people and our spoiled-rotten moggies have all the luxuries you could imagine! I doubt they'd bother getting off OUR bed to investigate a kennel! We have an insulated kennel in the garden for the local stray that we've semi-adopted too.
If it's well insulated = wine cellar:rolleyes:
Not bad.... not bad at all. There's potential in that one!
Beware the ides of march:)
It's June......

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Server rack?
Bomb disposal?
Giant subwoofer?
Sensory Deprivation Chamber?
Electrolytic derusting/plating/etc tub?
Secret entrance into the hidden room?
Put in shelves and a fan, for audio-video cabinet?
Exercise sled dog by pulling fridge around the yard?
Paint/etc booth with fume extractor to outdoor exhaust?
Fill it full of memorabilia and bury in backyard as a time capsule?
Long term clothing storage for things that need stinky moth balls or cedar?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Fart gas torture chamber?
Opaque fish tank?
Walk-in wardrobe?
iCoffin?

But given its insulation properties it seems more suited to temperature-controlled solutions - the wine rack idea has a lot of merit as would a humidor but I doubt I could afford to fill it!

If it wasn't for the fact that the pressurised system was all brazed (not soldered) it would be fixable. I've researched the processes involved and can get the tools (pressure gauges, R600a gas etc) but forking out for oxy kit to braze the pipework is just too much of a step.

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
Or you could scrap it and get a few hundred bucks for copper tubing, compressor and mountings, and casing / shelves if metal.
Otherwise the thin copper tubing makes an excellent radiator / heatsink, or coiled around the inner wall of a plastic / glass container, a 'surround' anode of a copper-plating kit.
The cabinet could be laid on it's back, then when you have an outdoor 'bring your own' barbeque, throw some frosties in with ice blocks and water.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Are you sure an oxy-acetylene torch is necessary for brazing? How about a MAPP gas torch? However, even with the requisite equipment, a one-off project like this is probably not worth your effort since there are many folks here that really need your help and advice. And, yeah, watch out for them damned ides that come out in March and then hang around until the first frost... Trevor knows what he's talking about.

Last edited:

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I'd scrap it for metal recycling as recommended by Fuzz1LOG1C.
We in the Colonies hear of kids accidentally locking themselves in, and most places require us to remove the doors
of unused ones.
Because it's summer, you might consider tipping it on its back down on the beach, filling it with ice,
and having one heck of a beach party.
When everyone is inebriated, someone will suggest using it as a rowboat, and they'll make it disappear
beneath the waves for you.
(that was a joke, environmental purists on this site)

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
I'm doubting it is worth much for metal recycling in the US, where you can buy a used working refrigerator for under $200, but yes that would be better than just letting it sit in a landfill, except that through disassembly you are letting the refrigerant out which is illegal in the US "as far as I know". It would need taken to a place set up to handle refrigerant and some of them charge for disposal, do not pay you for scrap.

How about a giant food dehydrator for making jerky one animal at a time?

Last edited:

bushtech

Sep 13, 2016
I'm with Hevans here. Gas torch and some silver solder. Works a treat on copper piping

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
The ides of June is the 13th, so beware next Wednesday.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
If it wasn't for the fact that the pressurised system was all brazed (not soldered) it would be fixable. I've researched the processes involved and can get the tools (pressure gauges, R600a gas etc) but forking out for oxy kit to braze the pipework is just too much of a step.
You can buy a piercing valve for less than £2 and you don't have to touch a torch.

PS: I don't mean flashlight. Lol

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
You can buy a piercing valve for less than £2 and you don't have to touch a torch.
Checks show that the compressor needs replacing so 'refilling' is only part of the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions - I think :p - worth a laugh if not some further thought in some cases.

I'm not sure if silver soldering will put up with the pressures involved - it should do - but all the repairs I've seen show brazing as the fixing method otherwise I don't know why they didn't just use a propane torch and made the joints as you would soldering water couplings??????

Love the idea of a beach party! We have our own beach (on a loch side!) but a WHITE chest freezer might be too much of a beacon for passing watercraft!
How about a giant food dehydrator for making jerky one animal at a time?
Ah ha! Now that one rings true for me! I've always loved jerky and wanted to dehydrate foodstuffs. Doing on an industrial scale might also be a potential business venture!

Food for thought - pun intended!

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
You don't have to use Oxy/acety to braze, just use Map gas. It burns hotter than propane and is inexpensive.

I suppose you could alternatively use compression couplings also.

But a large beer cooler on your beach would make for one heck of a ceilidh.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Turns out we're going to be using it to (temporarily) keep our pond fish in while we rework the existing pond (make it deeper).

Lid removed of course - and power cord cut too!

Reactions: Ian

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
How about you probably the lid up at 45 degrees and add fake triangular teeth to the body and the lid. Then you can also pretend that a great white shark has eaten your fish.

Reactions: Ian