Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Gould Classic 6000

FurnaceRocker

Apr 14, 2017
Hey,

I recently bought this Gould Classic 6000 oscilloscope, (super cheap!). I bought it from a school's surplus store, so I figured it would probably have at least something wrong with it (there is a crack where it looks like it got dropped). I turn it on, and I see a screen that says TRUtrace, and it doesn't ever leave that screen. The screen looks to me kinda like a boot screen, so I think that the problem might be in the computer realm, which is a realm I'm not as familiar with as I do more with hardware and circuits and stuff. Anyone have any ideas as to where I could start going about figuring out what's up with this?

FurnaceRocker

Apr 14, 2017
Here's a pic of the screen I see. The PCB and everything on it look like they are in good shape, so I'm not suspecting any problems there.

Attachments

• IMG_20170414_145138958.jpg
    IMG_20170414_145138958.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 216

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Have you got, or can you get the manual for this?
Or can you find a manual for it on-line?

FurnaceRocker

Apr 14, 2017
I have looked and haven't been able to find a manual anywhere, I'm still making some inquiries to see if I dig one up.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
From what I've read these are an overcomplicated pos. with manuals that are almost impossible to find.
Just wondering if perhaps there is an on-board memory battery that has gone bad?

FurnaceRocker

Apr 14, 2017
There is a 3.6V battery that is looking pretty crusty, and my meter is only reading 1V on it. I was planning on replacing it thinking that it was just for the internal clock memory, but the battery for those is usually smaller isn't. Do those affect device's ability to boot? Just asking to learn, thanks!

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Maybe... Who knows without a manual. Would be easy to find out by replacing the battery though.

JimW

Oct 22, 2010
This won't be easy. Think of it as a computer with a display, and running some software. Because you got to the screen that you did, the processor is running, some of the code is accessible, some RAM is working, and the path to the display is good.

But it doesn't seem to complete the boot sequence. Well written software, once you are past the part of initializing the screen, boot status information is posted to the display. It just happens so fast that you normally can't see it. I don't see any in your screen capture. So it is likely that no one attempted to write any progress info to the screen. This is more likely than the code halting just after the screen init.

So that leaves you with an unknown hardware problem or corrupted code problem. Like I said, not easy. You could probe the processor/memory and see if it is left running code (in some sort of loop or waiting for an interrupt). But that really doesn't get you much farther than you are right now. If the memory is removable, you could investigate a bad memory chip or module by swapping or replacement.

With a logic analyzer, an emulator for the CPU, and a set of full schematics and source code you could resolve this. Short of that, you are going to have to get lucky.

JimW

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Sounds unusual to have a 12v supply go faulty and start putting out 24v

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
INTERJECTIONS . . . . .

Mister Furnace man . . . . . Reference 3.30 pertains . . . as certainly this already found battery condition has befallen your unit, what with it having endured 3 HOT July-August scorchers, after having been cast aside and stored within the adjunct Harper Valley PTA outside storage barn.

JW . . . .in being the only other participant initially engaging in the factual computer in a scope reality.

( But with the JW now impossible to be the renown JW . . .Jim Wiliams . . . with his sometimes aside / hobby dabbling in ‘ole analog TEK scopes repair/restorations.)

Would you surmise the degree of data danger in doing a full reset.

With it being as safe as a conventional computer . . . that keeps all of its basic computer “base line brains” stored within a bios chip.

And JUST the loss of USER specific, past time saved . . . . trace, sequences and set ups left by prior user(s) within set up folders.

What say ye ?

Aside:
This is Foxy16Thunderjockey to Bluejets . . . .come in pls . . .( interject squelch tail )
Where do I read the :
Sounds unusual to have a 12v supply go faulty and start putting out 24v
context ?

73’s de Edd

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Apologies.....wrong post....mobile phone touch screens and big fingers:rolleyes:

FurnaceRocker

Apr 14, 2017
Managed to get it to work. For all those who would need a reference (found a few forums without answers), holding the "hold all" and "plot" buttons and the system will do a cold start. I need to replace the 3.6V battery, which is shipping over right now, and I should have a fully functioning 4 channel dso for under $150!

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Hmmmmmm . . .its actually fully functioning now ? , as that button pushing sequence was used on the earlier Gould DSO400 for locking out the front control panel when using it in the plotter function, whose electromechanics were mounted on the top at the front of the unit.
I don't think that your unit even encorporates that particular feature , but the control sequence may ? be a carryover, although not needed.
Have you even read the instruction manual that I provided above ? and its 3.30 portion ?

73’s de Edd

FurnaceRocker

Apr 14, 2017
I did not, partly because there's no doc in the link you posted, but I ended up getting in a conversation with a guy who collects and use to make Gould scopes. It is fully functioning, even calibrated to be in spec.I'll probably need to mess with it more, but really I don't need it to do a crazy amount, just show some pretty simple waveforms. I'm actually wanting to find some projects that will force me to use it to what its capable of.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir FurnaceRocker . . . . .

STRANGE . . .velly strange, . . as I put it on for FREE access on Scrib-d to any one and their dogs and 18 (or their dogs ? ) have already accessed it .

Plus 3600+ others have successfully accessed info within my tech library.
I just now tried it thru another server, not identified with me, and was able to read all of its 118 pages.

If you still have problems contact me thru the conversations mode here with yer E-mail and I will zip you out a Pee Dee Eff of it . . . . since it's being up in the 12 meg storage density. .

BTW i can only see the front display in orange, and as old as it is . . . is it using a long kine like one would see on a Tek scope or a shorter and squatty tube more like a small kine based color TV /or//monitor or the digital series of Hoolet Plastereds scopes would use ?

What I thought that I percieved, was that the fine detail in the display was not appreciably sharp and well defined,
like what one of these tubes take on as they age and the kines get gassy.

73's de Edd

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcher

Apr 24, 2017
I did not, partly because there's no doc in the link you posted, but I ended up getting in a conversation with a guy who collects and use to make Gould scopes. It is fully functioning, even calibrated to be in spec.I'll probably need to mess with it more, but really I don't need it to do a crazy amount, just show some pretty simple waveforms. I'm actually wanting to find some projects that will force me to use it to what its capable of.

Hi FR, did you find a copy of the user manual? I downloaded a copy with 118 pages from here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testg...till-looking-for-a-service-manual-for-dso500/
I am still struggling to reboot my Datasys 7200. I managed to lose the TruTrace splash screen after trying various sequences to upload the EPROM data to the SRAM suggested on this German site:

https://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/185152

I will try the push button sequence you suggested but if this doesn't work I might have to ask you for contact details of the Gould collector.