Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Greetings from Paramaribo

plinio

Jul 2, 2014
Hi All,

I'm an italian electronic addicted actually in Paramaribo for some work activities. From a couple of years I'm in the development of the Souliss opensource networking framework dedicated to smarthome and IoT that has actually a thousand of users.

I hope to find here people to collaborate with for the design of PCB relevant to the project.

Regards,
Dario.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Welcome to Electronics Point plinio.

I've had a very brief look at your project. What are you using for wireless comms? I note you're talking about power line comms. Are those modules cheaply obtainable (and what about safety -- I've recently heard about a woman electrocuted by her cheap Chinese USB charger)

plinio

Jul 2, 2014
Hi Steve,

thanks for your welcome and let me answer your questions.

Souliss nodes communicate over a virtualized network, so we can use any wireless transceiver is just a matter of attach a driver for it. Actually we have used Atmel AT86RF230 and Nordic nRF24L01+ in the 2.4 Ghz band and the Ciseco xRF radio in the 900 MHz one.

Powerline is a solution under study, we got some samples by Link Sprite that are quite cheap but far from good performances, they have a very low transfer rate that isn't actually supported in Souliss, but the idea is to try to get it working. Actually these devices are not in my hands, there is one user in the community that takes care of.

Powerline if proper designed is secure, but can be very limited by large loads or chattering in power consumption, this can be avoided only using integrated IC as power-line transceivers that unfortunately are bit expensive.

Actually I've in mind a design similar to ZWave or Insteon but in the opensource, so Arduino and Souliss powred. I'm quite ok with electronics and design, but I've no experience with PCB.

Regards,
Dario.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I'm quite a fan of the nRF24L01+. The downside for me is that the standard Arduino libraries for network use of this device are *huge*

I'm sure you'll find people who can help you with PCB related issues here. Hopefully with your stuff being open source we're not going to have issues with you not being able to reveal details of your design :)

plinio

Jul 2, 2014
Yep, is cheap and works fine.

I really trust the opensource, simply because there is no reason to hide ideas :)

As example, Souliss is working fine and has a small community, but is started and is there just because there was an opensource starting point on either hardware and software.

Regards,
Dario.