Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ground and neutral wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

pidja105

Oct 16, 2015
Hello,
Can I short circuit ground and neutral wire, my village house does not have regular ground, I have a three phase star system, is it safe?

pidja105

Oct 16, 2015
For some peoples I have to write this:
220V voltage, 17,95kW power, 50Hz frequency, sine wave waveform, and I mean about 8,16Amps current.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Do you want one less house in your village?
Google information on making an earth-ground for your house.
It's not difficult to do.
The power company neutral, is not a ground.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Is your 3ph transformer just for your immediate residence or what does it supply?
If you installed a local neutral, you would have to feed the outlets and all equipment with a ground conductor accordingly
M.

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
It is not safe! It is dangerous!
You don't wont to lose a loved one, do you!!!

Surely there is an authorized electrician somewhere near by...
Let him create a safe ground to your house.

In most countries the electric-company will not connect a house to the net unless it was checked and approved by them to be safe and conforming to the local standards/regulations.
How did you get your house connected without Ground in the first place?

Last edited:

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
What we're trying to tell you, if we understand you correctly, is that you want an 'earth ground' to protect yourself and your property.
That is a far cry from the electric company's 'neutral' return.
Do you want a genuine 'ground' for your electrical outlets, or are you asking about something we don't understand yet?

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Hello,
Can I short circuit ground and neutral wire, my village house does not have regular ground, I have a three phase star system, is it safe?
Nope.. Not safe.
It's difficult to understand why you don't have a 'regular ground' when your house is sitting on one ;)

Anyway. Yes, an electrician should be called in.
Ground is a safety mechanism to protect you and your loved ones from being electrocuted if there is a fault with the device. Shorting Ground and Neutral would result in the metal housing of every device being tied to 'Neutral' which has a very real and dangerous possibility of having a voltage present with respect to the environment that could kill someone if they touched it.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Any star connected transformer can be set up to reference the neutral to ground.
However the ground installation electrode, whether ground rod or a metallic water supply system the installation should be qualified by measurement afterwards.
.This is when the presence of a previous referenced ground conductor is not supplied.
M.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Hello,
Not enough information given, but probably no.
Firstly you need to be qualified by the authority having jurisdiction in your area to alter your electrical system. Contrary to popular belief, grounding is the most important part of an electrical system.
Getting it wrong could be fatal. Even driving your own ground rod is illadvised because it needs to connect to the grounding system properly or something shorting out to ground may not trip the circuit breaker properly.
Usually wye configurations have the neutral (transformer X0 term) grounded to earth through a grounding electrode system and the neutral and equipment ground are bonded together at the main service panel, inside the meter can, or lateral wires from the utility company.

To confuse maters more, other parts of the house need to be bonded to the grounding system but are not grounding electrodes.

Sage advice was given by those who recommend hiring an electrician.

Another no,no, is simply trying a ground pin to the neural pin of an outlet. (Bootleg ground) it causes parallel current paths causing overheating of wires, and connects the current carrying neutral to the casing of an appliance.

So yes, do yourself a favor and consult an electrician.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Not enough information given, but probably no.
Firstly you need to be qualified by the authority having jurisdiction in your area to alter your electrical system. Contrary to popular belief, grounding is the most important part of an electrical system.
Getting it wrong could be fatal. Even driving your own ground rod is illadvised because it needs to connect to the grounding system properly or something shorting out to ground may not trip the circuit breaker properly.

and with those wise words

the thread is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.