Maker Pro
Maker Pro

GSM Module

s ward

Dec 14, 2014
HI Folks.

Ive begun messing around with a GSM module. (Model Telit GT864-PY) Im hoping to use it to monitor temperature and to text me when my room is too hot. Ive the GSm module doing the basics. i.e. text and ringing. now Im trying to take in the analog temperature voltage via the rj11 port. however even though i am measuring a voltage of about 232 mV with my multimeter. The module will only measure 10 mV using the AT#ADC? command.

Anyone any idea where I might be going wrong or if there are any more questions.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Did you scale the ADC reading correctly? As per the manual (page 10) a voltage of 5V reads as a digital value of 192. The equation for scaling is:

ADC_ IN ≈ 0,026V x digital value (the relation seems to be uncalibrated "≈")

A reading of 10 is equivalent to 10*0.026V=260mV - near to your expected value.

s ward

Dec 14, 2014
Thanks for getting back Harald.

Yea my issue was with my Python code where I wasn't setting the scaling up correct so it was having no effect without me noticing.

I don't suppose you are anyone has much experience with utilising the GPRS functionality of a GSM module. I've trying to send now to send my data now up to the cloud via node red which doesn't have a built in SMS input so need to look at sending it as a data packet now via GPRS.

Have looked at the relevant Telit resources but was just wondering if anyone knows of any better resources as the Telit literature with regards GPRS is abit on the light side that would be more helpful or indeed have done something similar any advice would be grateful.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Unfortunately your assessment of my skills regarding these modules is 100% correct. You might want to change the title of this thread to better reflect you concern - or better yet open a new thread headed something like " Sending data via Telit GSM/GPRS module" which might attract the right readership.

Someone else come to the rescue?