Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Hall Effects Switches

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
Hi SC
Answering your questions, I still think there are 3 stages in the required circuit - detector, monostable, and output.
I think the Hall effect devices you found are probably pretty good, and that the power output stage in http://www.rmcybernetics.com/projects/DIY_Devices/homemade_ignition_coil_driver.htm is probably good too.
That leaves the monostable multivibrator to be designed.

But I don't think that this is a very suitable project for a first-time electronics experimenter. I think you need equipment such as a pulse generator (or at least square wave generator), a good oscilloscope, a proper power supply... you need the expertise to test and fault-find the circuits you build.

On th other hand there are manufacturers with pages like this: http://www.newtronic.co.uk/newtronic/system/index.html whose products may work pretty-much first time and are sure to be far easier.
I'd go that path unless there were really compelling reasons to design and build from scratch, because I think that there is months of work ahead of you if you take the path of designing and building a circuit for yourself.

Even if you take the option of a manufactured circuit there may still be plenty of work in getting the electronics to operate properly. Do you have anybody in your circle of friends with any expertise? I suggest a club of some kind... where people with an interest in engineering share expertise and can help one another out at the test bench.

Is there any chance of that?

SmokedCircuit64

May 12, 2011
No I don't have anyone that is in the know about electronics.. I may have to get the JEH Circuit kit then see what I have to upgrade so it can handle 12 to 16 volts..

Most of the other DIY Ignition Circuits seem to all be based off the use of the old style coil can to supply the spark/power.. But those are in the 25,000 to 40,000 volt range.. That would surely fry a electromagnet coil of the small size I'm building I would think!?
The other circuits are all mainly for replacement of the old points type systems in a distributor.

I may need to look for another forum as well..