Maker Pro
Maker Pro

hall sensor and ssr

stark156

Jul 24, 2019
Hi. New here. I have general electrical knowledge, learning lots as I go. I'm wanting to use a magnet, trigger a hall effect sensor, which in turn, triggers a solid state relay to actuate 12vdc linear solenoid. I'm guessing there would be a resistor, transistor, and/or other components involved. want it as simple as possible. can anyone sketch out a diagram of how i may achieve this? let me know if you need more specific info. thanks to all.

stark156

Jul 24, 2019
many people are using npn transistors and pull-up resistors in simple setups to light led's.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Tell us what hall effect sensor and what SSR you are using and we might be able to do that.

Bob

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
let me know if you need more specific whuinfo.
Why not include specific info with your initial query here? We don't have crystal balls that actually work, although I shine mine up once in awhile.

There are a HUGE number of Hall-effect sensors available... pick one and tell us which one it is. Better yet, include a datasheet or a link to a datasheet. Same-o, same-o for whatever "linear solenoid" you plan to use... like how much current will it draw at 12 VDC? Or do you know the coil resistance? What is the duty cycle? Will the solenoid be "on" all the time after the Hall-effect sensor actuates it? If not, how do you turn the solenoid off?

You can purchase Hall-effect sensors that interface directly to DC solid-state switches.You just have to provide a little voltage to the circuit, but we need to know what those two devices are before we can suggest how to do that.

Why guess about what components you need? We usually give good advice here if you tell us up front WTF you are trying to DO instead of "guessing" how to do it. Or, you can grab a handful of transistors, resistors, and other components and have a go at it yourself. Make sure the color-code on the resistors is pointing in the right direction.

stark156

Jul 24, 2019
No need to be rude. My apologies. I'm apparently looking in the wrong place. Thank you for what positive information to those who took the time to even respond. No need to reply, this account will be discontinued.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
@stark156: Sorry you interpreted my remarks as being rude. You come here on Wednesday, July 24, 2019, and post a question demonstrating your limited "general electrical knowledge." You describe, without providing any details, that you want to use a magnet and an unspecified Hall-effect sensor with an unspecified solid state relay to actuate an unspecified 12 VDC solenoid. You then "guess" at what you think a solution involves:
I'm guessing there would be a resistor, transistor, and/or other components involved. want it as simple as possible. can anyone sketch out a diagram of how i may achieve this?
Not without knowing what ALL the components are. Try Google to find simple as possible schematics.
Then you have the temerity to ask
...let me know if you need more specific info.
I ask for more specific info and you throw a hissy fit. Yeah, with your attitude you are definitely looking in the wrong place. We get a LOT of "drive by" posters who sign up for one day, ask one half-baked question, and then disappear when they don't get the immediate answer they seek. Or, like you, get offended at any criticism that perhaps they didn't describe their "problem" in sufficient detail to allow us to suggest a solution.