Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Halloween Prop Wiring Help

dnsuz79

Sep 23, 2011
I'm working on a box that opens, plays sounds, then closes. I would like to trigger the opening with a motion sensor that opens the lid and the sounds start to play (little over a minute). I've ordered a 200 second recordable module for the sound and to open the lid I'm thinking about a cordless screwdriver (batteries removed and rewired for transformer), connected to all-thread for a make shift linear actuator to open the lid, hitting a micro switch to turn the screwdriver off. Will use an ice cube relay (120v 4pdt 3amp 28vdc) to start the ball rolling for the multiple items. I'm struggling with how to wait for the sound sequence to finish and send reverse polarity power to the screwdriver to close the lid. Motion sensor would restart sequence. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
:)
Hi dnsuz79, that is a hard name to pronounce.
I suggest you try your local radio-control model shop where you'll find good big servoes and assistance with getting them to work with you. A servo could be used to open the lid. Mechanical tricks can take nearly all the load off the servo.

The servo could be controlled by a detector, which would wait for the music to start playing, and the detector could be 'enabled' by the motion sensor. You might find an easy way to do this with a 555 timer.

dnsuz79

Sep 23, 2011
Thanks

Thanks for your help and good ideas - will look into it.
Dennis