Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Hantek DSO5072p Oscilloscope?

rickselectricalprojects

Feb 1, 2015
Hi everybody,
I have been saving up for an oscilloscope for a while now and i wanted to know if this oscilloscope is any good:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-Post-...370029?hash=item3abc7c5ced:g:xBkAAOxyBvZTP3NG
I have looked around online and it is highly rated on Amazon but apart from that I cant seem to find anything else about this scope.
Rigol oscilloscope's are too expensive and the cheapest deals i can find are still very expensive and they also come from China, which I think is a bit risky for something that costs $500.
Is this Scope worth the $350?
Thanks.

rickselectricalprojects

Feb 1, 2015
Well i dont know about its features but it sure looks just like my Tektronix tds 3012 only the one on the link is usb.
Thanks for your reply,
Shouldn't that be something that sets of warning bells if it looks a lot like a high end scope?
As long as the oscilloscope performs reasonably well and will last then its what I am after.

rickselectricalprojects

Feb 1, 2015
Well i can not tell for sure but judging by its appearence it looks good. Only someone that has used it will be able to further inform us.
Thanks for your help. It does look very handsome.
It would be good to hear from someone who owns or knows about this scope.
Thanks.

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
What i can say for sure is that if it's abilities are similar to the one i have then you are good to go !

You can find the user manual online and check.

After a quick look at the user manual, it looks fine to me for the price of 356AUD.

Last edited:

rickselectricalprojects

Feb 1, 2015
What i can say for sure is that if it's abilities are similar to the one i have then you are good to go !

You can find the user manual online and check.

After a quick look at the user manual, it looks fine to me for the price of 356AUD.
That's good to hear, thanks for your help:)

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
No problem friend ! Hopefully someone that has actually used it will share some info.

mgrass

Sep 25, 2011
I have the 5102B. The B is more storage and it's worth it.
Love my scope. There is supposedly a hack that will turn any of the scope into the 150, 200Mhz. just by changing a file or two on the scope. It's all controlled by the software. The hardware is the same except for the amount of storage.

rickselectricalprojects

Feb 1, 2015
I have the 5102B. The B is more storage and it's worth it.
Love my scope. There is supposedly a hack that will turn any of the scope into the 150, 200Mhz. just by changing a file or two on the scope. It's all controlled by the software. The hardware is the same except for the amount of storage.
Is the scope good quality? Do You think it would last for a decent amount of time?
Thanks for your help:)

mgrass

Sep 25, 2011
It seems descent to me. I have 40years in electronics. The Naval Aviation Tech Training Center (NATTC) uses a Vigilant or similar and the Hantek seems to be as good on the outside. I haven't opened yet, but it feels(knobs) like a good piece of equipment. Just like cars, shoes, clothes, alcohol, .....after a certain point, you are just paying for the name! I'm happy with my purchase. Most of what I work on now is digital vs analog (sound,amps, etc). For analog work I still prefer a non storage scope. The only draw back is they use a time base of 2,4,8 mSec, uSec, instead of 1,2, 5, 10. It easier to rough math for freq. But that being said....This DSO does the math for you and a ton of other stuff that my old scope never could do. Precise time measurement, precise voltage...no looking at the grads, squinting and saying ..uhhh..that's about 1.23 or 1.24msec. It tells you it's 1.234msec. I haven't overloaded the input like I used to do when I worked on high voltage equip, so I don't know how forgiving it is. Between the DSO, my PC based USB Saleae logic analyzer, multimeter, and a fucntion generator, I do a lot of design and debugging.

rickselectricalprojects

Feb 1, 2015
It seems descent to me. I have 40years in electronics. The Naval Aviation Tech Training Center (NATTC) uses a Vigilant or similar and the Hantek seems to be as good on the outside. I haven't opened yet, but it feels(knobs) like a good piece of equipment. Just like cars, shoes, clothes, alcohol, .....after a certain point, you are just paying for the name! I'm happy with my purchase. Most of what I work on now is digital vs analog (sound,amps, etc). For analog work I still prefer a non storage scope. The only draw back is they use a time base of 2,4,8 mSec, uSec, instead of 1,2, 5, 10. It easier to rough math for freq. But that being said....This DSO does the math for you and a ton of other stuff that my old scope never could do. Precise time measurement, precise voltage...no looking at the grads, squinting and saying ..uhhh..that's about 1.23 or 1.24msec. It tells you it's 1.234msec. I haven't overloaded the input like I used to do when I worked on high voltage equip, so I don't know how forgiving it is. Between the DSO, my PC based USB Saleae logic analyzer, multimeter, and a fucntion generator, I do a lot of design and debugging.
That's good. I wont be using it in any extreme applications (like HV) but as long as it is well built then it is the scope for me.
Thanks again for your help:)

elebish

Aug 16, 2013
Hi everybody,
I have been saving up for an oscilloscope for a while now and i wanted to know if this oscilloscope is any good:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-Post-...370029?hash=item3abc7c5ced:g:xBkAAOxyBvZTP3NG
I have looked around online and it is highly rated on Amazon but apart from that I cant seem to find anything else about this scope.
Rigol oscilloscope's are too expensive and the cheapest deals i can find are still very expensive and they also come from China, which I think is a bit risky for something that costs $500.
Is this Scope worth the $350?
Thanks.
Look on EBAY. I bought a Tek 2465BDM for $550. It's a 400 Mhz with all the goodies. The users manual was still in the plastic bag, unopened. It works perfect and looks new. You can get real bargains but you must know what you are looking for.

elebish

Aug 16, 2013
Stick with an analog scope. They are easier to use and will not give you an "alias". I also have an Iwatsu SS 5711D analog that I have been using for many years and it has been one of the best scopes I have ever used. I think I have used them all working in the labs at Boeing for almost 38 years.

elebish

Aug 16, 2013
Stick with an analog scope. They are easier to use and will not give you an "alias". I also have an Iwatsu SS 5711D analog that I have been using for many years and it has been one of the best scopes I have ever used. I think I have used them all working in the labs at Boeing for almost 38 years.

rickselectricalprojects

Feb 1, 2015
Look on EBAY. I bought a Tek 2465BDM for $550. It's a 400 Mhz with all the goodies. The users manual was still in the plastic bag, unopened. It works perfect and looks new. You can get real bargains but you must know what you are looking for.
I think it is not so much about the scope i get, as i will only need it to do basic things but it is more about if i actually need an oscilloscope.
Thanks for your help, I will keep that in mind when looking for a scope:)