Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Has utility power been restored?

MultiSync

Sep 19, 2015
Need some advice on a photo switch application.

I have a portable emergency generator that uses an outdoor manual transfer switch.

The problem is that when switched to the generator setup during a power outage I have no easy means of knowing if or when utility power is restored. The electric utility meter has two status LEDs behind a small clear plastic window that are always ON when power is available. I would like to design a waterproof circuit (9-12Vdc source would be nice) that would use a light sensor that would trigger a relay to sound a small (remote-wired) buzzer and light to let me know (day or night) that power has been restored.

The LEDs in the meter are red & yellow. I would like to use a photodiode that has a sensitivity rating of 600uM (orange wavelength).

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
I saw somewhere that ordinary LEDs can be used to detect light, I think they were used in the reverse bias condition. Some experimentation would be required to see if the wavelengths matched.

A comparator and device driver would complete the setup. 9 to 12V would be ideal to turn on a FET which could replace a relay.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Is your KWH meter new generation (Digital) that transmits the data to the utility?

Chris

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Many photodiodes and phototransistors come with molded on lenses to narrow their detection angle. One of these pointed a one of the LEDs should be reasonably immune to false alarms, particularly if you differentiate (edge detect) the output.

ak

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
I saw somewhere that ordinary LEDs can be used to detect light, I think they were used in the reverse bias condition. Some experimentation would be required to see if the wavelengths matched.

A comparator and device driver would complete the setup. 9 to 12V would be ideal to turn on a FET which could replace a relay.

Yep, Green LEDs can be used.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Need some advice on a photo switch application.

I have a portable emergency generator that uses an outdoor manual transfer switch.

The problem is that when switched to the generator setup during a power outage I have no easy means of knowing if or when utility power is restored. The electric utility meter has two status LEDs behind a small clear plastic window that are always ON when power is available. I would like to design a waterproof circuit (9-12Vdc source would be nice) that would use a light sensor that would trigger a relay to sound a small (remote-wired) buzzer and light to let me know (day or night) that power has been restored.

The LEDs in the meter are red & yellow. I would like to use a photodiode that has a sensitivity rating of 600uM (orange wavelength).

I assume you want the buzzer to sound when power is lost. Otherwise won't it be sounding all the time when you have utility power?
Adam

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
If there is an AC outlet or other direct access to the incoming AC power line before the transfer switch, a fairly simple circuit could sit on the line, arm itself when power goes out, and beep when it comes back - ***without*** a power source to run the circuit throughout the power outage. If fact, IF a small piezo beeper is enough of a sounder, AND IF you are comfortable with building a small non-isolated power supply, THEN the whole thing is pretty simple.

Another thought - If you have an AC-powered buzzer and an AC-coil SPDT relay, the whole circuit can be done without any active electronics.

ak

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Hack into a no contact volt pen......

Attachments

• no-contact-electric-volt-pen-stick-voltage.jpg
    no-contact-electric-volt-pen-stick-voltage.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 85