Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Have I bricked my Arduino Uno? Problems with uploading to board

mehwish

Jul 7, 2017
I can’t upload sketches to my Arduino uno

Have I “bricked” it?
What steps can I take to work out what is wrong?
What can I do to fix it?

[mod edit: removed link]

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
Hello.
It would be much better to provide more information about the version of your board, your project and what exactly you did before you realize that the Micro controller is "bricked".

I am not familiar with Arduino but i do know about Picaxe. It is not the same but might have similar solutions to your problem.

On picaxe manual there is a procedure that you follow in order to upload a new code when the old one is "bricked".
There must be some way to do that on the Arduino, just make sure you have not burned the chip some way.

I hope you find a fix.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
If you used the correct cable (USB presumably) then you 'can't' brick it.... if you've used some other power supply, changed the board wiring or otherwise modified the equipment then you may well have bricked it.

Tell us the truth!

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Where and when did you buy the Arduino? Did it work the first time? Can you show me a picture of the Arduino board please.
Cheers
Adam

Irv

Jun 7, 2017
Too little info.
However, here's one free hint: if you're using Linux, then you can't (AFAIK) upload to the Uno via the USB ports without first allowing access to the ports: sudo chmod 777 /dev/ttyACM* will get 'em all in one blow. Change the USB* to USB* if you're using the Nano.
At least, that's the way it works on my computer. You may have to repeat the above whenever you unplug and re-plug the USB cable(s).

PetePan

Sep 2, 2017
  • Try uploading with nothing connected to the board (apart from the USB cable).
  • Make sure the board isn't touching anything metal/conductive.
  • Try a different USB cable; sometimes they are flaky.
  • Try rebooting the PC.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If you have 2 Arduinos you can use one to program the other via the ISP header. This will allow you to download the firmware again. Beware that you may have to override the reset on the one doing the programming. The sketch, but not the information is one of the samples.