Hayes Smartmodem 1200 and DL900

bsimmons

May 2, 2012
Hey everyone! I am needing some help.

What I have:

DL900 3.04-The software for programming Caddx Alarm Panels
Hayes 1200 External Smartmodem
Windows 7 64-Bit

I had this working on this very computer as recently as 4 days ago, but then I had a major computer issue and had to reformat my hard drive. Now I cannot seem to get this to work anymore.

What I have done:
Installed Modem to Windows through the Add Modem Option in the Control Panel>Phone & Modems Menu.
I then installed the modem in DL900 by going to File>Setup>Modem Setup and picking "Connect using Standard 1200 bps Modem" and scrolled down to modem 2, which is "2) #Hayes Smartmodem 1200 external."

Once I have this setup I try to call a panel and get a "Modem Initialization Error!" window. I never had this before I reformatted, but I can not remember what I had to do when I initially set it up.

Is there anyone out there that can tell me the proper installation method to get this setup working again? Am I missing a step?

Thanks!

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Hayes Microcomp went out of business years ago. I can't help you with the 1200, but
I've got some info that might be helpful.
I just repaired a couple Hayes Microcomp chronographs, I was able to find manuals
for them Googleing on-line.
Did you try Googleing for information on your smartmodem? Even if you already have
a manual, some people on-line still had info available on the chronograph, maybe you
can get the info you need on your 1200 Smartmodem the same way.

bsimmons

May 2, 2012
Thanks for the reply shrtrnd.
When I googled for anything related to the issue I'm having, this forum is actually what i found. There have been some similar issues posted on a newsgroup that this site is mirroring.

Specifically:
https://www.electronicspoint.com/hayes-modem-t148917.html
https://www.electronicspoint.com/caddx-modem-setup-t148711.html

I actually did get the modem to start initializing, but now I get a note in DL900 stating "error writing to module 0 0." For whatever reason it will not connect to the alarm panels, but they worked just fine before i reformatted. There must be some setting I missed somewhere, but I cannot seem to find any information that points me in the right direction.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I'm not all that skilled in computers, do you need a driver for the smartmodem set-up?
Just something to check.

bsimmons

May 2, 2012
Unfortunately I have not been able to solve this problem. The modem is installed correctly and working, but I seem to be having trouble finishing the setup in the DL900 software. I hpe that someone out there still uses this software and can help me. Until then I'll keep trying to figure it out. If I find a solution I will post it here.

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
Not sure I can be of much help without any experience of the specific hardware in question, but I do remember the good old days just before the internet where all modems had to be hayes compatible and protocols had weird and wonderful names like super kermit (as used by muppets) :p

Do you have a way to send command strings directly to the modem (or is it specified in the software)? They were usually 'AT' followed by something else for example ATDT to dial a number. If you have access to this interface, here is a list if init strings you could try: http://www.modemhelp.org/inits/hayes.html