Maker Pro
Maker Pro

HDMI overscan adjuster

Magoogle

Jul 31, 2012
Not sure where to post this but I was curious if it would be possible to make a inline HDMI picture size adjustment device..

Basically I have a 67" DLP Samsung TV. My Xbox one does not display correctly. It appears as if it has overscan and the image is to large for the TV.

All my other 1080P devices display correctly (chrome cast/receiver).

I have found a device similar to what I want.

https://www.amazon.com/E-More®-Mirr...=8-1-spons&keywords=hdmi+up/down+scaler&psc=1

This device will scale resolution.. However I want something that will let me adjust the overscan..

Is this something that can be created?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
The overscan may be an issue with the TV, not the XBox. Check whether the TV has a 'PC mode' or similar which will turn off overscan on the respective HDMI input without the need for an external box.
If your TV doesn't allow this setting, your chances are low to solve this issue as many discussion on internet fora show.
I don't know of any external box that would allow to change this.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
@Harald Kapp hit the nail on the head.
Check the TV. It's bound to have an 'aspect' or 'mode' setting. This setting is commonly used to stretch 4:3 images various ways to fit a 16:9 display and I've seen it affect 16:9 images numerous times. Try all the settings here and see which one works best.
As far as altering the overscan is concerned, you need to find the source first.
Overscan settings apparently do not exist on the Xbox, so you will need to rely on being able to turn it off on the TV . You stated other 1080p sources played properly, have you attempted to switch their inputs around to see if it only affects a certain input or if it really is just the Xbox?
(Also, how much overscan are you fighting with? I've seen projects using FPGAs that alter HDMI data on the fly, but this is not for the faint of heart and you are going to have a heck of a time simply inserting garbage data on the frame's edge to compensate considering the scaling you will need to do to the image...)