Maker Pro
Maker Pro

HEADPHONE PANEL JACK CONTROL

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
I have a Dell Opti-Plex 760 with Windows 10 OS. The front face has 2 -1/8" panel jacks. One for microphone and one for headphones. I have used the headphone jack to feed assorted audio playback units. Recently the headphone jack has stopped delivering a signal. Not sure what knocked it out but am somewhat certain that it is a software problem. I have experienced 2 or 3 power failures over the last six months, also when updates are applied, they sometimes change settings. I'm guessing I need to go to maybe a command window and start a reactivation process there.The microphone jack works well and I use bluetooth for audio playback on a sound bar.I have noticed that sometimes I cannot have multiple playback devices enabled. Also I think I need to bring front jack into the sound settings control panels. I am open to any suggestions.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir HANKMARS . . . . . . . . or is that Hank . . . . . .on . . . . .Mars ?

I can't go noes fudders, 'til you done went and tolds me . . . . . what ? your avatar is being . . . . .

upload_2021-11-15_13-9-44.png

and its 1-10 composite parts.

Some steam punked assemblage / sculpture ?

I might only guess that . . .

10 is being a book / tome.
3 a column
7 a copper boiler
One larger size of tubing between 7 and 9
Smaller tubing taking a round about way from 8 to behind 7 . . .out of view
Then there are the spaced out Emitter ? Base ? Collector ? prefixes ?
5 the power cord
1 tile baseboard trim above the floor

Thaaaaaaaaaasit . . . . .

73's de Edd . . . . . .

Last edited:

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Couldn't Q . . . . .u . . . . . i . . . . . t . . . . . . e make that out . . . . .
But by using this . . . .

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/26/1st-Transistor.jpg

OR . . .Even Mo' Bettah

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a5/A_replica_of_the_first_working_transistor_02.jpg/640px-A_replica_of_the_first_working_transistor_02.jpg

It seems that both the transistor and Jacks first integrated circuit prototypes were both being mechanical kluges.
Looks like a basic support was made with a "C" cutout in a blank of Plexiglas, with a U fold over
piece of brass used as a mechanical base and connection at the base of the Plexiglas C
Then the below pic shows the wires running down the side of the "arrowhead" to touch the doped germanium blank / slab.
Using the quasi rectangular, 90 degree , dual offset axis "spring" to press down into and just touch the semi surface.
( I wonder if that adjustment / placement it was as touchy as placing a cat whisker upon a galena crystal ? . . . . . then, you don't dare mechanically bump it ! )

THE CONTACT ELECTRODES . . . . .

upload_2021-11-16_1-41-40.png

Thaaaaaaaaassit . . . . .

Last edited:

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
It's been a google of years since I've seen my cat whisker holder. Most likely trashed or given away during a move of residency. Let me know if you see it. Kept it in an old Sucrets can.

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
Sir HANKMARS . . . . . . . . or is that Hank . . . . . .on . . . . .Mars ?

I can't go noes fudders, 'til you done went and tolds me . . . . . what ? your avatar is being . . . . .

View attachment 53229

and its 1-10 composite parts.

Some steam punked assemblage / sculpture ?

I might only guess that . . .

10 is being a book / tome.
3 a column
7 a copper boiler
One larger size of tubing between 7 and 9
Smaller tubing taking a round about way from 8 to behind 7 . . .out of view
Then there are the spaced out Emitter ? Base ? Collector ? prefixes ?
5 the power cord
1 tile baseboard trim above the floor

Thaaaaaaaaaasit . . . . .

73's de Edd . . . . . .
The photo of "the first transistor" that I prefer appeared in a National Geographics magazine. I remember the issue being July, 1954 but have not been able to locate that particular issue. I could be mistaken about that. I think the article said the device was at Bell Labs. That particular device more resembled a rock with 2 windings of copper wire around it.

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
Hello,

@73's de Edd , He uses the picture from the first transistor as his avatar:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1st-Transistor.jpg
https://www.edn.com/1st-successful-test-of-the-transistor-december-16-1947/

@HANKMARS , is a pop-up shown when you insert something in the headphone jacket?
On my laptop there is a pop-up with settings shown.

Bertus
No pop-up. As I recall, neither the mic or the headphone jacks produced a pop-up when plug first inserted. My camera uses a USB port and does cause a pop-up with 3 or so options to choose from.