Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Headphone Repair Question

Fikash

Nov 18, 2011
I am working on repairing my Sony MDR-V6 headphones. There is no sound coming from the right speaker. I purchased a replacement 1/8th jack and went about replacing it, but still no sound from the right speaker. I unscrewed the casings and checked the wiring and nothing is out of place.

I was sure it was a wiring issue though, because before the right side died completely, I would be able to put pressure on the base of the jack, or kind of wiggle it around to make it work temporarily. What could be the problem here?

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
The most common cause for headphone problems is one (or more) wire breaking just where the cable exits the jack plug. Did you cut the cable there?
Also, the jacks you get to buy these days are entirely made of plastic, so when you solder on them the plastic melts and you loose contact.

Last edited:

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Measure the resistance between body and ring also body and tip. If there is no connection, that is the one to investigate. The phone will click from the voltmeter current if it is working.

Fikash

Nov 18, 2011
The jack I purchased is gold-plated. I cut well above the original jack's place, and when that did not work, I cut even further and it still would not work. I did not need to solder, there are screws in this kind of jack that are used to tighten the wires into place.

I'm an electronicss novice and don't own a voltmeter. I suppose I need some more tools to get to the bottom of this one. Thanks for your help so far guys.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Wihout a meter you make things difficult but if you have an assistant, you can get them to hold a couple of wires to a single cell and you can then flick these across the plug contacts to make a noise.
One technique that I have used is to try to pull the wire out of the cable with a pair of tweezers, if the wire comes out, you know where the break is.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Like Resqueline said, you've got a break somewhere in the wire. It's usually at one
end or the other of the cable, at the headphone, or at the plug. But it could be anywhere
along the length of the wire.
I've never run across a problem with the speaker itself, but it's possible, to check it if
you want to, run a couple wires from the working speaker to the non-working one, to
verify the speaker is ok. But like I said, odds are, you've got a break in the wire somewhere.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Try looking at the jacks socket solder connections to the pcb, as cracked solder joints here will also render one channel not working, your wiggling the plug about could surgest this, i had an old sony Walkman years ago now, i opened it up re tinned the 1/4 inch socket and my head phones where restored. :)

Last edited: