Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Heart Rate Monitor transmissions.

cyclistbruce

Apr 9, 2010
I have a heart rate monitor that according to the blurb on the box transmits a coded signal on the 2.4Ghz frequency. Does anyone know if this signal can be intercepted and recorded, for instance by a coach to enable collective heart rate monitoring? Is the coding purely for pairing with the receiver, I presume so as there seem little need for it to be 'secure'.

Also, I always assumed that heart rate monitors produced a signal for every heart beat, hence 60BPM would equal 60 transmissions per minute. However, according to the blurb, the sensor transmits every 2 seconds, which would lead me to assume that the sensor is transmitting data, as opposed to just a 'frequency pulse'.

Hope someone can throw some light on this question, which is going towards a project I have on the go!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I imagine it's one of those units which are on a band across your chest, and you read the heart rate from a watch-like unit on your wrist, sans any connecting wires.

Chances are that the 2.4GHz transmission isn't bluetooth (since that would be overkill), and certainly the range of the unit would be probably no more than a metre or so, since your wrists rarely move too far away from your body.

You would first want to see how far the receiver can be away from you and still reliably receive the signal.